Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Redwood in Warren County, Mississippi — The American South (East South Central)
 

French Fort St. Pierre

 
 
French Fort St. Pierre Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, May 15, 2019
1. French Fort St. Pierre Marker
Inscription.  Built in 1719 to protect French colonists and serve as a trading place with Native Americans, Fort St. Pierre was rebuilt with a substantial palisade and moat in 1722 by Lt. Dumont de Montigny. Although designed to house more than 100 marines and some 200 French settlers, just twenty-five French resided at the fort by 1729. On December 11, 1729, the fort was destroyed in an attack by the Koroa and Yazoo, who killed all but nine women and children. The captives were later rescued by the Choctaw and Chakchiuma and returned to the French.
 
Erected 2018 by the Mississippi Department of Archives and History.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Mississippi State Historical Marker Program marker series.
 
Location. 32° 29.687′ N, 90° 47.93′ W. Marker is near Redwood, Mississippi, in Warren County. Marker is on Mississippi Route 3 0.6 miles south of Mary Hearn Road, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Redwood MS 39156, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Snyder's Bluff
The view south from marker on MS-3. image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, May 15, 2019
2. The view south from marker on MS-3.
(about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Chickasaw Bayou Battle (approx. 6.8 miles away); Stephen G∑ Hicks (approx. 8.3 miles away); Illinois 40th Infantry. (approx. 8.3 miles away); Grantís Headquarters (approx. 8.4 miles away); U S Headquarters 16th Corps (Detachment) (approx. 8.4 miles away); Massachusetts Tribute to the 29th, 35th and 36th Regiments Volunteer Infantry (approx. 8.4 miles away); Siege Operations, May 23-July 4. (approx. 8.4 miles away).
 
Regarding French Fort St. Pierre. A French post established in 1719 by four missionary priests from the Seminary of Quebec. Located on present day Snyder's Bluff in Warren County, Mississippi. Their leader was the Reverend Francis de Montigny. The fort and the farms established by the settlers expanded until there were a total of 16 farms associated with the post.

The post was abandoned in 1729 after all but four of the inhabitants were massacred by Yazoo Indians on 31 Dec 1729. Also known as Fort San Pierre, Fort St. Pierre des Yazous, Fort St. Claude. U.S. Civil War Confederate Fort Snyder was built on the site
Another nearby marker about Fort St. Pierre (Peter). image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, May 15, 2019
3. Another nearby marker about Fort St. Pierre (Peter).
in 1862.
 
Also see . . .  Wikipedia entry on Fort St. Pierre. (Submitted on May 16, 2019, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
 
Categories. Forts, CastlesNative Americans
 
During the Civil War, Fort Snyder (1862-1865) was later built here. image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, May 15, 2019
4. During the Civil War, Fort Snyder (1862-1865) was later built here.
Fort Snyder was a Confederate earthworks fortification established in 1862 as a part of the defenses of Vicksburg. This fort was built on the site of the previous fortification, Fort St. Peter, at Snyder's Bluff overlooking the Yazoo River. Captured by Union forces in 1863, it was abandoned at the end of the Civil War in 1865.
 
More. Search the internet for French Fort St. Pierre.
 
Credits. This page was last revised on May 16, 2019. This page originally submitted on May 16, 2019, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 54 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on May 16, 2019, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.
Paid Advertisement