The Avery Homestead
Site of a homestead. This is part of land sold by Tobaccus, Sachem of Unkechaug Indians, to Gov. John Winthrop of Connecticut in 1664, extending from Bellport through Bluepoint, from Great South Bay to the middle of the island. By 1680 it was known as 'Winthrop's Patent'.
Humphrey Avery, of Preston, Conn., purchased Pine Neck from John Still Winthrop in 1752.
He sold the land by lottery in 1756, repurchasing the lot on which the Swan River Nursery office now resides, built in 1820 as the Avery homestead.
The following members of the Avery Family owned and inhabited this site
Humphrey Avery 1699-1788
Humphrey Avery 1725-1789
Roger Avery 1755-1824
John Avery 1791-1868
Humphrey Avery 1816-1889
Charles W. Avery 1854-1915
Humphrey R. Avery (illegible)
Erected 1976 by the Avery Family.
Location. 40° 46.011′ N, 72° 59.436′ W. Marker is in East Patchogue, New York, in Suffolk County. Marker is at the intersection
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Squire Mott Grist Mill (about 800 feet away, measured in a direct line); Monorail (approx. 1.4 miles away); The Lace Mill (approx. 1.6 miles away); Site of Hart's Tavern (approx. 1.7 miles away); Hart's Tavern (approx. 1.7 miles away); The Wreck of the Louis V. Place (approx. 1.7 miles away); The Wreck of the Nahum Chapin (approx. 1.7 miles away); Town of Islip Grange (approx. 4.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in East Patchogue.
Regarding The Avery Homestead. Note that the marker is located on posted private property. The marker is not quite legible from the sidewalk, and the lead photo here reflects that. The transcription provided here of the marker was taken from the February 25, 1976 issue of the Long Island Advance (p. 2-A).
Also see . . .
1. Plaques Trace Avery Tract History (Long Island Advance, February 5, 1976). (Submitted on May 17, 2019.)
2. Avery Homestead, East Patchogue, Town of Brookhaven (Preservation Long Island). (Submitted on May 17, 2019.)
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on May 17, 2019. This page originally submitted on May 17, 2019, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. This page has been viewed 57 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 17, 2019, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. closeup photos of the plaques • Can you help?