Sitka in Sitka Borough, Alaska — The American West (Northwest)
St. Michael's Cathedral
Under the provisions of the Historic Sites Act of August 21, 1935
This site possesses exceptional value in commemorating and illustrating the history of the United States
Erected 1963 by U.S. Department of the Interior, National Park Service.
Marker series. This marker is included in the National Historic Landmarks marker series.
Location. 57° 3.001′ N, 135° 20.122′ W. Marker is in Sitka, Alaska, in Sitka Borough. Marker is on Lincoln Street when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 240 Lincoln Street, Sitka AK 99835, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 6 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Tilson Building (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Sentinel of a Divided Town (about 700 feet away); In This Place (about 700 feet away); 250th Anniversary of the Bering- Chirikov Expedition (approx. 0.2 miles away); Alaska Native Brotherhood Hall (approx. 0.2 miles away); Emmons House (approx. ¼ mile away).
More about this marker. Marker is mounted on the church beside the front door.
Also see . . . National Register of Historic Places Listing #66000165. The Cathedral of St. Michael the Archangel was listed on the NRHP in 1966. The nomination reads in part:
Sitka was the capital of Russian America from 1808 until 1906. The Cathedral of St. Michael the Archangel was at the center of Russian cultural influence in 19th century North America.
The Cathedral of St. Michael the Archangel is an excellent example of Russian church architecture, incorporating classic Russian features of the cruciform design with elements of the Italian Rococo which was popular in Russia in the early 19th century.
The cathedral was designed by the first Bishop of Alaska, Bishop Innocent, who was known for his religious writings as well as works on Alaskan ethnography, linguistics and history. Innocent was declared a saint by the Orthodox Christian church in 1977.
The present building is a reconstruction of the original which was built in 1844 and destroyed by fire in 1966. The structure was rebuilt on the original site based on detailed drawings of the original structure. Most of the ikons and religious artifacts were saved from destruction.
The cathedral was the largest and most imposing religious edifice in Alaska until well into the 20th century. It remains a house of worship and the seat of the Orthodox Bishop of Sitka and Alaska. (Submitted on May 17, 2019, by Alvis Hendley of San Francisco, California.)
Categories. • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on May 19, 2019. This page originally submitted on May 17, 2019, by Alvis Hendley of San Francisco, California. This page has been viewed 46 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on May 17, 2019, by Alvis Hendley of San Francisco, California. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.