Burlington in Boone County, Kentucky — The American South (East South Central)
Historic Burlington, KY
The New County Seat
Boone County Courthouses Through the Years
1n 1817, Boone County replaced its first log courthouse with a brick structure, which was remodeled in 1828 and again in 1878. The present courthouse was built in 1889 for $19,740. The courthouse was built by the McDonald Brothers, a Louisville architectural firm that designed courthouses in states as far south as Texas. As completed, the building was predominately Renaissance Revival in style with a cruciform plan and imposing clock tower. The original clock tower proved too heavy for the building and was removed in 1898. The replacement cupola that crowns the building to this day was designed by the renowned Cincinnati architects Samual Hannaford & Son.
Timeline of Key Developments
1799: Boone County Established, Craig’s Camp chosen site of county seat
1801: Wilmington platted as county seat
1814: Boone Academy established
1816: Town renamed Burlington
1817: First brick courthouse built
1818: Burlington Bank incorporated
1819 Burlington Library Company incorporated
1834: New jail completed
c. 1834: Renaker House built
1852: Jail destroyed by fire
1854: Jail replaced, Clerk’s Office completed
1878: Courthouse remodeled
1889: Present courthouse built
1898: Courthouse tower replaced
1924 Burlington town charter expires
1928: 1854 jail replaced
1959: Old Courthouse Annex built
1979: Burlington National Register Historic District created
1981: Boone County Administration Building completed
2003: Boone County Justice Center Center completed.
Right Side Photo Captions (top to bottom)
2003: Boone County Justice Center completed Nathaniel E. Riddell succeeded Perry Cason as Boone County Judge in 1920 and held the office until his death in 1942. The office of County Judge was created by the Kentucky Constitution of 1850. For much of the 20th Century, the office was held by four long-serving men: Cason, Riddell, Carroll, Cropper, and Bruce Ferguson.
Glenrose Williams became Kentucky’s first woman Sheriff when Judge Carroll Cropper appointed her in 1944. Irvin Rouse served as her deputy. For 15 months, Glenrose carried out the duties of the county sheriff: law enforcement, tax collection, service to the county, and election duties.
County Clerk Asa McMullen and his assistant Mark Cook are shown here seated in their office in the 1889 courthouse. The county clerk was responsible for maintaining the official county records, taxes, voter registration, and elections, and the issuance of marriage and other licenses.
Charles A. Fowler served as Boone County Jailer from 1917 to 1929, long before the Kentucky Jail Standards were adopted in 1984. In his day, the jailer and his family typically lived above or next to the jail and the entire family helped out.
Location. 39° 1.69′ N, 84° 43.406′ W. Marker is in Burlington, Kentucky, in Boone County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Washington Street (Kentucky Route 18) and Jefferson Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is is in Justice Square displayed on the little white building next to the new courthouse. Marker is in this post office area: Burlington KY 41005, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. A different marker also named Historic Burlington, KY (here, next to this marker); a different marker also named Historic Burlington, KY (within shouting distance of this marker); Old Boone County Courthouse (within shouting distance of this marker); From Craig’s Camp / To Burlington (within shouting distance of this marker); Duncan House (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); George Speri Sperti (1900-1991) / Boonetucky Farm (approx. 1½ miles away); Crash of TWA Flight 694 (approx. 2.2 miles away); Crash of TWA Flight 128 (approx. 4½ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Burlington.
Categories. • Government •
Credits. This page was last revised on May 22, 2019. This page originally submitted on May 20, 2019, by Steve Stoessel of Niskayuna, New York. This page has been viewed 36 times since then. Photo 1. submitted on May 20, 2019, by Steve Stoessel of Niskayuna, New York. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.