Bunker Hill in Berkeley County, West Virginia — The American South (Appalachia)
Washington Heritage Trail
Morgan's Chapel in Bunker Hill, one of the first places of worship in Berkeley County, was erected in 1740 by Colonel Morgan. The current building, constructed in 1852, is the third built on the site. Evidence indicates that the church was used as a makeshift fort during the Civil War, and areas of the walls sustained damage from artillery fire. The holes in the walls are still visible, and writings and drawings dating back to the Civil War are further proof of occupation by both Union and Confederate soldiers.
Morgan Morgan built his cabin between 1731 and 1734. Using many of its original logs, the cabin was restored as a Bicentennial project in 1976. Located along West Virginia Secondary Route 26 west of Bunker Hill, it is a historically furnished museum.
• Cemetery and Morgan Chapel
• Civil War Graffiti, Morgan Chapel
• Morgan Cabin, Runnymeade Road
The Washington Heritage Trail (sidebar)
The Washington Heritage trail is a 136-mile national scenic byway inspired by the prominent footsteps of George Washington through the three historic counties of West Virginia’s Eastern Panhandle. Compelling history, spectacular scenery, geologic wonders, recreation and year round activities and festivals are highlighted by 45 historical sites. The trail meanders across mountains and rivers, through forests, farms and orchards as it connects several 18th century towns that remain the center of life today and offer comfortable lodging, unique shopping and fine dining. More information on attractions and services throughout the area is available at each town’s Visitor Center.
Location. 39° 20.021′ N, 78° 3.43′ W. Marker is in Bunker Hill, West Virginia, in Berkeley County. Marker is at the intersection of Runnymeade Road (County Route 26) and Soldier Drive, on the right when traveling west on Runnymeade Road. Marker is located within a pull-out and small parking area directly in front of Morgan's Chapel. Touch for map. Marker Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Christ Church (here, next to this marker); a different marker also named Christ Church (a few steps from this marker); Morgan Morgan (approx. ¼ mile away); "Morgan Acres" (approx. ¼ mile away); Col. Morgan Morgan (approx. ¼ mile away); James Johnston Pettigrew Monument (approx. half a mile away); Gettysburg Campaign (approx. 1.2 miles away); Morgan Cabin (approx. 2.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bunker Hill.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. Col. Morgan Morgan
Also see . . . Morgan Chapel and Graveyard. Morgan Chapel and Graveyard, also known as Christ Episcopal Church - Bunker Hill, is a historic church in Bunker Hill, Berkeley County, West Virginia. It is the oldest Episcopal church congregation in West Virginia. In 1741 Morgan Morgan, one of West Virginia's earliest settlers, built the original log church on this site, about halfway between his cabin and the mill. Soon a cemetery was established. The current Greek Revival building was constructed in 1851. (Submitted on May 20, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • Churches & Religion • Colonial Era • Settlements & Settlers • War, US Civil •
More. Search the internet for Morgan Chapel.
Credits. This page was last revised on May 20, 2019. This page originally submitted on May 20, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 67 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on May 20, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.