Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Columbia Station in Lorain County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Columbia Township

 
 
Columbia Township Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, April 6, 2019
1. Columbia Township Marker
Inscription.  Founded in 1807 Columbia was the first continuously inhabited settlement in Lorain County. Harmon, Levi and Azor Bronson, Calvin Hoadley, Jared Pritchard and others formed the Waterbury Land Company to buy the township from the Connecticut Land Company. In 1808, Sally Bronson named the township and became its first teacher. In 1809, the first church society was formed and Hoadley built a log gristmill beside the Rocky River. A militia company was organized in 1810 and a two story blockhouse was constructed for protection during the War of 1812.
 
Erected 2003 by the Columbia Historical Society and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 17-47.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
 
Location. 41° 18.774′ N, 81° 55.642′ W. Marker is near Columbia Station, Ohio, in Lorain County. Marker is on Royalton Road (Ohio Route 82) west of West River Road (County Route 60), on the right when traveling west. It is at the
Columbia Township Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, April 6, 2019
2. Columbia Township Marker
The traffic light in the distance is for West River Road.
parking lot for Columbia Park, just west of the Columbia Township Fire Department. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Columbia Station OH 44028, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Olmsted Falls L.S. & M.S. Depot (approx. 4.4 miles away); Olmsted Falls, A Historic Community (approx. 4.8 miles away); Pomeroy House (approx. 4.8 miles away); Town Hall and School Building (approx. 4.9 miles away); Olmstedís Origins / Olmsted Township (approx. 4.9 miles away); Chestnut Grove Cemetery (approx. 4.9 miles away); Liverpool Township / Liverpool and Valley City (approx. 5.2 miles away); The Berea Triangle (approx. 5.3 miles away).
 
Also see . . .  History of the Township. “Early development in the Township was encouraged by the construction of Wooster Road and Montgomery Road in the 1820ís and by the construction and extension of several railroad lines beginning in the 1840ís. The railroad lines also prompted the founding of two commuter communities, Madeira and Terrace Park.” (Submitted on May 23, 2019, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.) 
 
Categories. Political SubdivisionsSettlements & Settlers
 
Columbia United Methodist Church, Columbia Station Ohio image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, April 6, 2019
3. Columbia United Methodist Church, Columbia Station Ohio
Columbia Township Town Hall, Columbia Station Ohio image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, April 6, 2019
4. Columbia Township Town Hall, Columbia Station Ohio
Columbia Baptist Church, Columbia Station Ohio image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, April 6, 2019
5. Columbia Baptist Church, Columbia Station Ohio
The cornerstone reads “First Baptist Church, organized A.D. 1832. This edifice erected A.D. 1900.”
 

More. Search the internet for Columbia Township.
 
Credits. This page was last revised on May 23, 2019. This page originally submitted on May 23, 2019, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 79 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on May 23, 2019, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.
Paid Advertisement