Long Leaf in Rapides Parish, Louisiana — The American South (West South Central)
Long Leaf Planer Mill
Ca. 1898 to 1969 (and today)
The Planer mill building is the oldest surviving building at Long Leaf. While this building may have been constructed as early as 1895, it most probably dates from 1898, when Crowell and Spencer changed from partnership, to a corporation, Crowell & Spencer Lumber Co, Ltd. The mill was rebuilt for the first time in 1920, when the present Allis Chalmers Corliss steam engine and the two outside boilers were installed. It was rebuilt again to its present configuration in 1957 when most of the molding machines were removed and the American molder and its associated facilities were installed.
Location. 31° 0.395′ N, 92° 33.521′ W. Marker is in Long Leaf, Louisiana, in Rapides Parish. Marker can be reached from Long Leaf Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Longleaf LA 71448, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Lumber Carts (within shouting distance of this marker); Old Planer Mill Machinery (within shouting distance of this marker); Across The Tracks (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Crowell and Spencer Engine #400 The Commissary (about 600 feet away); The "Roundhouse", The Machine Shop and the "Car Knockers Shed" (about 600 feet away); The McGiffert Log Loader (about 600 feet away); Clyde Double Drum-Cable Outhaul Log Skidder (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Long Leaf.
More about this marker. Located on the grounds of the Southern Forest Heritage Museum, Admission required.
Also see . . . Museum Website. (Submitted on May 26, 2019, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana.)
Categories. • Industry & Commerce •
More. Search the internet for Long Leaf Planer Mill.
Credits. This page was last revised on May 26, 2019. This page originally submitted on May 26, 2019, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana. This page has been viewed 43 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 26, 2019.