Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Hot Springs in Custer County, South Dakota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
 

Civilian Conservation Corps Camp

 
 
Civilian Conservation Corps Camp Marker West Face image. Click for full size.
By Brian Anderson, May 19, 2019
1. Civilian Conservation Corps Camp Marker West Face
Inscription.  
Camp NP-1 (DNP-1): located southeast of the cave entrance
in Wind Cave Canyon.

Companies: 2754 -- 7/16/34 - 11/1/39
2757 detachment -- 4/18/40 - 8/1/40

The Civilian Conservation Corps was a federal relief program during 1933-1942 that gave jobless men work renovating abused lands. The Army built 48 200-man camps in South Dakota and provided food, clothing, medical care, pay and programs of education, recreation and religion for 23,709 enrollees (single men aged 17-25 who sent $25 of their $30 wage to their families) and war veterans. Camps and work projects were supervised by another 2834 men. The Office of Indian Affairs ran smaller units for 4554 American Indians.

Camp Wind Cave was part of a national CCC program to improve the nation’s park system. Supervised by the National Park Service, enrollees developed Wind Cave National Park and Jewel Cave National Monument. In Wind Cave CCs renovated tour trails and installed the 208 foot elevator shaft and building, concrete steps and indirect lighting. They constructed the Park water and sewer systems, parking area, stone guard rails,
Civilian Conservation Corps Camp Marker East Face image. Click for full size.
By Brian Anderson, May 19, 2019
2. Civilian Conservation Corps Camp Marker East Face
18.6 miles of big game fence, the pigtail bridge and several smaller ones and several miles of road. CC’s built ten buildings, helped WPA remodel five others and landscaped headquarters area and state highway. At Jewel Cave, they renovated the cave, disposed of old buildings and built a headquarters building, parking lot and an 800 foot trail.
 
Erected 1991 by CCC Alumni, the South Dakota State Historical Society, the South Dakota Department of Transportation and Wind Cave National Park. (Marker Number 520.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Civilian Conservation Corps marker series.
 
Location. 43° 31.267′ N, 103° 28.573′ W. Marker is near Hot Springs, South Dakota, in Custer County. Marker is on U.S. 385 1.9 miles north of 7-11 Road (County Road 101), on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Hot Springs SD 57747, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The CCC's Enduring Legacy (approx. 2.4 miles away); Paha Sapa Limestone (approx. 2.4 miles away); Life in a Prairie Dog Town (approx. 3.7 miles away); Battle Mountain (approx. 5.6 miles away); An Old Jail - 1888 (approx.
Civilian Conservation Corps Camp Marker image. Click for full size.
By Brian Anderson, May 19, 2019
3. Civilian Conservation Corps Camp Marker
5.9 miles away); Sandstone Architecture of Hot Springs, SD (approx. 5.9 miles away); The Mammoth Site of Hot Springs, SD (approx. 6.8 miles away); Hot Springs, SD (approx. 7.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Hot Springs.
 
Categories. Charity & Public WorkParks & Recreational Areas
 

More. Search the internet for Civilian Conservation Corps Camp.
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 10, 2019. This page originally submitted on May 29, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. This page has been viewed 46 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on June 5, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement