St. George's, Saint George, Grenada
Grenada Historic Forts
Welcome to Fort Frederick – one of the few forts in the world which has never fired a shot in anger. It was built by the French, who had wrested the island from the British in 1779. The French realized that had such fortifications existed at the time of their assault on Grenada, their attempt to storm Hospital Hill and thereby capture the island could have failed. So, one of the first acts of the new French Government was to commence building a series of forts on Richmond Hill: Fort Frederick, and the neighbouring forts Matthew to the North, and Adolphus, and Lucas to the South. Mount George Estate, the property of the Hon. William Lucas, was forcibly appropriated for that purpose. Four years later, the Treaty of Versailles gave the island back to Britain, leaving the British to complete what the French had started.
Hospital Hill can clearly be seen down below and to the right, looking over the town of St. George’s. Fort George stands guard on the promontory at the harbour entrance.
Location. 12° 2.896′ N, 61° 44.248′ Touch for map. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 kilometers of this marker, measured as the crow flies. In the Bowels of the Fort (within shouting distance of this marker); Backwards Facing Forts (within shouting distance of this marker); Port Louis (1650) (approx. one kilometer away); Marryshow House (approx. 1.3 kilometers away); Grenada Seamen and Waterfront Workers’ Union (approx. 1.5 kilometers away); Destruction of the Bianca C (approx. 1.5 kilometers away); St. George's Methodist Church (approx. 1.6 kilometers away); Grenada National Museum (approx. 1.7 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in St. George's.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 12, 2019. This page originally submitted on June 12, 2019, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. This page has been viewed 56 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on June 12, 2019, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico.