Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
West Union in Adams County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

West Union Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church / Reverend John Graham

 
 
West Union Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church side of marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, June 11, 2019
1. West Union Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church side of marker
Inscription.  Members of the Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church settled in Adams County as early as 1797. The West Union congregation was organized in 1812, and a lot was purchased for the construction of a public house of worship. This brick church, erected circa 1835, was used until 1895 when the congregation united with the Presbyterian Church. Under the leadership of Reverend Graham, many members of the congregation were actively involved in the Underground Railroad.

John Graham (1798-1849), pastor of the West Union Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church from 1841-1849, erected the house he called Pleasant Hill in 1842. An outspoken abolitionist who preached against the evils of slavery, Graham used his house as a station on the Underground Railroad. “Black Joe” Logan, an escaped slave who lived nearby, conducted runaways from Pleasant Hill to stations north. Reverend Graham died of Asiatic cholera in 1849 and is buried in the old West Union South Cemetery.
 
Erected 2003 by the Ohio Bicentennial Commission, the P&G Fund, and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number
Reverend John Graham side of marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, June 11, 2019
2. Reverend John Graham side of marker
16-1.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
 
Location. 38° 47.842′ N, 83° 32.814′ W. Marker is in West Union, Ohio, in Adams County. Marker is on North Cherry Street west of North Cross Street (Ohio Route 247), on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 507 N Cherry St, West Union OH 45693, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Adams County Heritage Center (here, next to this marker); Cowboy Copas / The Oklahoma Cowboy (approx. 0.2 miles away); Bradford Tavern (approx. 0.2 miles away); First Presbyterian Church (approx. 0.3 miles away); Pioneer County Seat / Camp Hamer (approx. 0.3 miles away); Lafferty Funeral Collection (approx. 0.4 miles away); Zane Trace (approx. 4.8 miles away); Bentonville Anti-Horse Thief Society (approx. 4.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in West Union.
 
Categories. Abolition & Underground RRAfrican AmericansChurches & Religion
 
West Union Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church / Reverend John Graham Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, June 11, 2019
3. West Union Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church / Reverend John Graham Marker
The church building, shown here, is now a museum and genealogical library jointly operated by the Adams County Historical Society and the Adams County Genealogical Society.
 

More. Search the internet for West Union Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church / Reverend John Graham.
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 15, 2019. This page originally submitted on June 15, 2019, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 54 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on June 15, 2019, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.
Paid Advertisement