Roseau, Saint George, Dominica
1787 First Methodist missionary, Dr. Thomas Coke arrived.
It was originally a dwelling house.
1800 The lot where the church is now was initially leased to Catholics who later converted to Wesleyan Methodism.
Construction of the church began.
1840s There was tension between the Catholics and Methodists due to the close proximity of the churches, which led to riots during the 1840s.
1893 It was completed with the construction of the steeple.
Close by is Wesley High School, a Methodist High School for girls.
Captions: Rough 1920s sketch of the Bethesda Methodist Chapel.
This 1902 photograph of Castle Street in Roseau, is looking west towards the sea and the junction of Church Street. This may have been a common view for parishioners exiting the Methodist Church.
This would have been one of the routes used to get to the Roseau Market and the Bayfront.
Erected by Ministry of Tourism and Culture.
Location. 15° 17.846′ N, 61° Touch for map. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Roseau Cathedral (within shouting distance of this marker); World Wars Memorial (about 150 meters away, measured in a direct line); Glory to the French from Dominica (about 150 meters away); Anglican Church (about 150 meters away); Roseau Bayfront (about 210 meters away); Carnegie Library of Roseau (approx. 0.2 kilometers away); a different marker also named Roseau Bayfront (approx. 0.4 kilometers away); David the Goliath (approx. 0.4 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Roseau.
Categories. • Churches & Religion • Colonial Era • Man-Made Features •
More. Search the internet for Methodist Church.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 18, 2019. This page originally submitted on June 15, 2019, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. This page has been viewed 66 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 15, 2019, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. 4. submitted on June 18, 2019, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico.