Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
West Union in Adams County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Pioneer County Seat / Camp Hamer

 
 
Pioneer County Seat side of marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, June 11, 2019
1. Pioneer County Seat side of marker
Inscription.  A short distance south of Zane’s Trace, West Union was established by an act of the Ohio Legislature on April 13, 1803, as the seat of Adams County. West Union was surveyed in the spring of the following year, and became important stagecoach stop on Zane’s Trace. Thomas Kirker, an Adams County resident who would later serve as Ohio’s second governor (1807-1808), named West Union. The county commissioners first met here June 11, 1804. In later years, residents of the village became actively involved in the Underground Railroad.

Camp Hamer. The Adams County Fairgrounds, established at this site in October 1853, on seven acres of land donated by Judge George Collings, was converted to a Civil War training camp named in honor of General Thomas Hamer, a Mexican War hero, of Georgetown, Ohio. The old stone Courthouse was made into a hospital to serve the camp. The 70th Ohio Volunteer infantry, organized in October 1861, trained on the old fairgrounds until Christmas day 1861, when it marched from Camp Hamer to Ripley. The 70th participated in the battles of Shiloh, Tennessee; Atlanta, Georgia; the siege at Vicksburg,
Camp Hamer side of marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, June 11, 2019
2. Camp Hamer side of marker
Mississppi, and Sherman’s March to the Sea.
 
Erected 2007 by the Adams County Historical Society, the Jenkins Family, the Philip Hawkins Family, and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 19-1.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
 
Location. 38° 47.58′ N, 83° 32.972′ W. Marker is in West Union, Ohio, in Adams County. Marker is at the intersection of West South Street and South West Street, on the left when traveling west on West South Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 505 W South St, West Union OH 45693, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Lafferty Funeral Collection (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Bradford Tavern (approx. 0.2 miles away); Cowboy Copas / The Oklahoma Cowboy (approx. ¼ mile away); First Presbyterian Church (approx. 0.3 miles away); Adams County Heritage Center (approx. 0.3 miles away); West Union Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church / Reverend John Graham (approx. 0.3 miles away); Bentonville Anti-Horse Thief Society (approx. 4½ miles away); Zane Trace (approx. 5.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in West Union.
 
Categories. Abolition & Underground RRPolitical SubdivisionsRoads & VehiclesSettlements & Settlers
 
Pioneer County Seat / Camp Hamer Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, June 11, 2019
3. Pioneer County Seat / Camp Hamer Marker
 

More. Search the internet for Pioneer County Seat / Camp Hamer.
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 15, 2019. This page originally submitted on June 15, 2019, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 50 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on June 15, 2019, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.
Paid Advertisement