Union in Union County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Union County Confederate Monument
of Union County,
their live and fortunes
to home and country,
of those sacred rights
reserved to the states
and guaranteed by the
as adopted and ratified
May 23, 1788.
Erected 1907 by William Wallace Chapter, U.D.C.
Marker series. This marker is included in the United Daughters of the Confederacy marker series.
Location. 34° 42.9′ N, 81° 37.5′ W. Marker is in Union, South Carolina, in Union County. Marker is on West Main Street. Touch for map. Monument is located in the northwest corner of the intersection of Main and Herndon Streets. Marker is in this post office area: Union SC 29379, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 10 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Union County Revolutionary War (within shouting distance of this marker); John Pratt (within shouting distance of this marker); Union Community Hospital Union County Jail (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Union Mill (about 700 feet away); Union County Veterans Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); Presbyterian Cemetery (approx. 0.3 miles away); Culp-Beaty Hall (approx. 0.3 miles away); Jefferson Davis Dined in This House (approx. 0.3 miles away); Episcopal Church Of The Nativity (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Union.
Also see . . . Union Downtown Historic District. The Union Downtown Historic District is significant as the public, commercial, and social center of the city of Union. (Submitted on March 11, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
1. Monument Re-dedication
In 2007, the Children of the Confederacy Chapter of South Carolina, an auxiliary of the United Daughters of the Confederacy of South Carolina, began re-dedicating confederate monuments that reached 100 years of age. The Union
— Submitted November 21, 2008, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.
2. William Wallace Chapter, U.D.C.
The William Wallace Chapter, U.D.C., formed to erect a monument in memory of the Confederate soldiers of Union County. This chapter was named in honor of William Henry Wallace, a Union native who rose from private in Company A, 18th S.C. Volunteer Regiment to brigadier general by the close of the war.
Fund raising by the chapter and citizens began in earnest in November 1904 with Mrs. B.G. Clifford leading the drive. They raised the first fifty dollars by selling donated chrysanthemums formed into "monument bouquets" and received the first voluntary subscriptions the next month. In 1905, the schools raised money by giving concerts, and in 1906, the ladies held a successful luncheon. The drive eventually raised $3,000. In the summer of 1906, the chapter accepted a design
— Submitted March 11, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.
3. Union County Confederate Monument
The thirty-five-foot granite shaft, which is surmounted by pyramided cannon shots, was originally located "in the middle of Main street at a point in front of the courthouse and on the highest point in the city." The dedication ceremony took place on May 25, 1907. A speakers' stand was erected in front of the courthouse near the monument. Garland bearers, flower girls, and the Union cornet band led union's veterans in a parade from Hotel Union to the monument. The band and a group of Union schoolchildren greeted the veterans with a rendition of "The Sunny South," a new song dedicated to the Confederate veterans. Reverend B.G. Clifford offered the invocation. Mayor Macbeth Young gave the welcoming address, and the band played "The Bonnie Blue Flag." Four Union County veterans then unveiled the monument. They were Charner S. Greer, formerly a captain of Company A, 18th S.C.V. Regiment; James C. Shellteworth, formerly a private in the Tyger River Volunteers, Company D, 5th S.C.V. Regiment; J.D. Eppes, formerly a private
— Submitted March 12, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.
Categories. • Military • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 12, 2008, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,179 times since then and 44 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on November 12, 2008, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. 2. submitted on February 11, 2013, by Stanley and Terrie Howard of Greer, South Carolina. 3, 4, 5. submitted on November 12, 2008, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. 6. submitted on February 11, 2013, by Stanley and Terrie Howard of Greer, South Carolina. 7, 8, 9, 10, 11. submitted on November 12, 2008, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.