First Port: Views of Belfast
[Excerpts with historical information]
Belfast Harbour Commissioners' Offices
The magnificent office building of the Harbour Commissioners, who were responsible for the construction of Hamilton Dock in the 1860s, was first opened in 1854, and extended in the 1890s. In the days before modern high-rise buildings, the four-faced Italianite [sic-Italianate] clock tower dominated the city skyline.
This building was once used exclusively for preparing any painted items for Harland and Wolff's ships. Its huge size lends itself well to its modern purpose - it is now one of Europe's largest film studios.
Beyond the Paint Hall lies Titanic Dock & Pump-House.
Harland and Wolff Offices
Built between 1900 and 1919, Harland and Wolff's shipbuilding empire was administered from these buildings. At the height of the yard's success, 30,000 people were employed in the Belfast yard. Nomadic's original plans, as conceived by Thomas Andrews, were laid out in the Drawing Offices which are located in two central wings parallel to the façade facing you.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Bridge Deck (here, next to this marker); On Board SS Nomadic (a few steps from this marker); 1908 Harland and Wolff Shipyard (a few steps from this marker); Hamilton Dock: Refurbishment and Restoration (a few steps from this marker); The Dockside: A Hive of Activity (a few steps from this marker); Bigger Ships and Bigger Docks (a few steps from this marker); Keel Blocks (a few steps from this marker); Features of the Dock (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Belfast.
Also see . . . Belfast Harbour. (Submitted on June 17, 2019, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Man-Made Features • Waterways & Vessels •
More. Search the internet for First Port: Views of Belfast.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 17, 2019. This page originally submitted on June 17, 2019, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 44 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 17, 2019, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.