Christiana in New Castle County, Delaware — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Christiana United Methodist Church
In October, 1807, a meeting of interested persons was held at the home of William Wright for the purpose of organizing themselves into a corporate body, and planning for the construction of "Salem Meeting House." In 1827, Christiana residents who had worshipped at Salem, bought a house from S. Johnson, which they dismantled and rebuilt on land purchased by them on the Christiana-Stanton Road. The first sermon was given by Rev. James Ayers in September of that year.
On July 9, 1857, the trustees of the Christiana Methodist Episcopal Church purchased land here from Abraham and Mary Cannon "in trust" that they "caused to be erected" a new place of worship. The present church was constructed in that year at a cost of $4,000. Plans were prepared by Rev. James Hand. The building was dedicated by Bishop Levi Scott on January 28,
Erected 1997 by Delaware Public Archives. (Marker Number NC-98.)
Location. 39° 39.975′ N, 75° 39.709′ W. Marker is in Christiana, Delaware, in New Castle County. Marker is on W. Main Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 21 W. Main St., Newark DE 19713, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Christiana Presbyterian Church ( about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Samuel Patterson ( approx. 0.2 miles away); Old Fort Union American Methodist Episcopal Church ( approx. 0.2 miles away); Christiana Public School #111-C ( approx. 0.2 miles away); Talbot's Fort ( approx. 0.3 miles away); Purple Heart Trail in Delaware ( approx. 1.5 miles away); Buena Vista ( approx. 2.5 miles away); Hale-Byrnes House ( approx. 2.5 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Christiana.
Categories. • Churches, Etc. • Notable Persons •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 14, 2008, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,252 times since then and 32 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on November 14, 2008, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.