Het Duitse Huis / The German House
In 1346 the knights and priests of the "Order of St. Marie of the Germans" built their monastery between Springweg (this street) and the city wall. The order, mainly active in the Baltic Sea area at the time, had its main house here in the Northern Netherlands, the so-called 'Land Command'. In 1674, the monastery church was so badly damaged by a whirlwind that it was demolished. The sacristy, the monastery building, the kitchen with outbuildings and the residence of the Landcommandeur remain still. In 1811 the complex was put into use as a military hospital by the (then French) government. Under King William I the modern (for that time) hospital building was built along the Geertebolwerk. In 1990 the Military Hospital moved to the Uithof. After a major restoration, the Knightly (Teutonic) Order of Germany, Balije van Utrecht, moved back into the 15th-century Commandeur House on the corner of Springweg and Walsteeg in 1995. Since 1999, the other buildings of the complex have since been restored and have been in use as the Grand Hotel Karel V. In 1546-47, Emperor Charles (Karel) V (1500-1558) stayed here during his stay in Utrecht.
Location. 52° 5.3′ N, 5° 7.134′ E. Marker is in Utrecht, Utrecht. Marker is on Springweg just north of Haverstraat, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: Springweg 25, Utrecht 3511 VJ, Netherlands. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. St. Jacobsgasthuis / St. James' Guest House (about 150 meters away, measured in a direct line); Mieropskameren / Mierop's Homes (about 180 meters away); Gebouw Voor Kunst En Wetenschappen / Arts and Science Building (about 180 meters away); De Zakkendrager / The Porters (about 180 meters away); Mariakerk / St. Mary's Church (about 210 meters away); Voormalig Klooster en Later Weeshuis / Former Monastery and Later Orphanage (about 210 meters away); Maartensbrug en Oude Gracht / "St. Martin's Bridge" on the Old Canal (about 240 meters away); Doopsgezinde Kerk / Mennonite Church (approx. 0.3 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Utrecht.
Also see . . . History (Karel V Hotel). (Submitted on June 20, 2019.)
Categories. • Charity & Public Work • Churches & Religion • Science & Medicine •
More. Search the internet for Het Duitse Huis / The German House.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 20, 2019. This page originally submitted on June 20, 2019, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. This page has been viewed 40 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 20, 2019, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California.