Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Pasadena in Anne Arundel County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Freetown

 
 
Freetown Marker image. Click for full size.
By Chris Nelson, March 29, 2003
1. Freetown Marker
Inscription. Established in the mid 19th century on land owned by Capt. James Spencer, who served in the Union Army during the Civil War, Freetown illustrates the principles of self-sufficiency and cooperation typical of African American communities. The first public school opened in 1914 in the lodge building of the Good Templars. A two-room school was completed in 1925 with support from the Julius Rosenwald Fund and with land and labor contributed by the community. Through the efforts of the Freetown Community Association, a new school was built in 1958.
 
Erected by Maryland Historical Trust, Maryland State Highway Administration.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Rosenwald Schools marker series.
 
Location. 39° 7.989′ N, 76° 34.676′ W. Marker is in Pasadena, Maryland, in Anne Arundel County. Marker is on Mountain Road (Maryland Route 177/648) 0.1 miles east of Freetown Road, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Pasadena MD 21122, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Marley Chapel (approx. 2 miles away); Marley Neck School (approx. 2.1 miles away); Tobacco Barn (approx. 2.3 miles away); Kinder Farmhouse Project (approx. 2.4 miles away); Harundale Mall (approx. 2.4 miles away); Earleigh Heights Store (approx. 2.5 miles away); To All Who Served (approx. 2.9 miles away); Magothy Methodist Church (approx. 2.9 miles away).
 
Categories. 20th CenturyAfrican AmericansCharity & Public WorkEducationNotable PlacesWar, US Civil
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 14, 2008, by Chris Nelson of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 2,013 times since then and 109 times this year. Photo   1. submitted on November 14, 2008, by Chris Nelson of Baltimore, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement