Near Ringgold in Catoosa County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Campaign for Atlanta Began Here
The 4th A.C. went by direct rd. to Tunnel Hill; the 23d to Crow Valley, E. of Rocky Face.
The elevated ground N. is the site of the Dr. Lee house. Observing the initial troop movements from the yard of the Lee house, were officers of the Federal high command: Sherman, Thomas, Schofield, Howard, Newton, Stanley, & Cox.
Erected 1954 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 023-4.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 34° 54.054′ N, 85° 1.494′ W. Marker is near Ringgold, Georgia, in Catoosa County. Marker is at the intersection of Catoosa Parkway (Georgia Route 2) and Tunnel Hill Road, on the right when traveling east on Catoosa Parkway. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Ringgold GA 30736, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. 4th Corps' Route to Tunnel Hill (approx. 0.6 miles away); Joseph Standing Monument Catoosa Springs Confederate Hospitals (approx. 1.9 miles away); Harris' Gap (approx. 2.7 miles away); Historic Varnell Home (approx. 2.7 miles away); Old Federal Road (approx. 3 miles away); Old Stone Presbyterian Church (approx. 3 miles away); Trail of Tears Memorial (approx. 3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Ringgold.
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 16, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,123 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 16, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.