Near Fort Loramie in Shelby County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Loramie's Store 1769 & Fort Loramie 1794
Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Trail
Loramie's Store – 1769
Fort Loramie – 1794
This enemy trading post was
destroyed by George Rogers
Clark in 1782. Fort Loramie
was later built on the same
site by General Wayne.
Erected 1930 by Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission. (Marker Number C.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission marker series.
Location. Marker is missing. It was located near 40° 21.64′ N, 84° 22.487′ W. Marker was near Fort Loramie, Ohio, in Shelby County. Marker was on Ohio Route 66 south of Canal Road (County Route 191). This marker is located along the highway, just north of where the roadway crosses Loramie Creek. Touch for map. Marker was in this post office area: Fort Loramie OH 45845, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this location, measured as the crow flies. Fort Loramie (here, next to this marker); Fort Loramie / The Indian Wars, 1790- 1795 (was here, next to this marker but has been reported Pioneer Portage (approx. 0.6 miles away); Fort Loramie Veterans Monument (approx. 0.7 miles away); Miami and Erie Canal (approx. 0.7 miles away); Greene Ville Treaty Line (approx. 0.7 miles away); Miami Erie Canal Mile Stone (approx. 0.7 miles away); Greenville Treaty Line (approx. 1.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fort Loramie.
More about this marker. This historical marker is part of the Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Trail series (type C) which was put in place in 1930 to celebrate the 150th anniversary of the Ohio's Revolutionary War era Battle of Piqua, by the Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission.
In order to accomplish this, in 1929 the state of Ohio created the Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission, and then in 1930 this commission created 22 military trails, throughout western Ohio, between Cincinnati, Ohio on the state's southern border and Toledo, Ohio on the state's northern border. Each of these military trails represented the routes, or trails, used by military leaders during either the Revolutionary War, the Indian Wars of 1790 to 1795, or the War of 1812. Each of these military routes connected various related historical sites, that were marked with Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission (type C) markers, along each of the military trails.
The routes of these military trails were in turn marked by type A and type B Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission markers that served as directional (type B) and distance (type A) markers.
Originally, back in 1930, there were erected 70 some of these Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission, type C, markers. To date, there are only 20 some of them that have been located and posted on the Historical Marker database. A number of them are presently missing, including this particular marker, which is listed on page 76 of the ORMC 1931 Planning Report.
Also see . . . Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Trail System. A description of the Revolutionary Memorial Trail System developed by the state of Ohio in 1929 - 1930. (Submitted on July 13, 2019, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.)
Categories. • Colonial Era • Native Americans • Settlements & Settlers • Wars, US Indian •
More. Search the internet for Loramie's Store 1769 & Fort Loramie 1794.
Credits. This page was last revised on August 1, 2019. This page originally submitted on July 13, 2019, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 50 times since then. Photos: 1. submitted on July 13, 2019. 2, 3, 4. submitted on July 17, 2019, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. 5, 6. submitted on July 13, 2019, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.