Savannah in Chatham County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
First Baptist Church
1800 Sesquicentennial 1950
—Savannah, Georgia —
During the Pastorate of the Reverend Henry O. Wyer the cornerstone of the present church on Chippewa Square was laid on February 2, 1831 and the building was completely renovated in 1921. Since 1847 the church has been called the First Baptist Church. In 1926 the Educational Building was erected and dedicated to the memory of John J. Cummings.
The church has had a long line of distinguished deacons and members who have given it their support, devotion and prayers. The Pastors have been Henry Holcombe, William B. Johnson, Benjamin Screven, James Sweat, James Meredith, Henry O. Wyer, Josiah S. Law, Charles B. Jones, J. G. Binney, Albert Williams, Joseph T. Robert, Thomas Rambaut, J.B. Stiteler, G.S. Daniel, Sylvanus Landrum, Timothy Harley, J.E.L. Holmes, S.A. Goodwin, J.D. Jordan, W.L. Pickard, J.J. Taylor, L.R. Christie, Norman W. Cox, John E. White, Arthur Jackson, and Leroy G. Cleverdon.
This tablet is given in grateful recognition to God for his Divine Blessings
Erected 1950 by First Baptist Church.
Location. 32° 4.567′ N, 81° 5.629′ W. Marker is in Savannah, Georgia, in Chatham County. Marker is on Bull St. near W. McDonough St., on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Savannah GA 31401, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A different marker also named First Baptist Church (a few steps from this marker); Original Presbyterian Meeting House (within shouting distance of this marker); Dr. Wm. A. Caruthers (1802-46) (within shouting distance of this marker); James Edward Oglethorpe (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Lowell Mason 1792- 1872 (about 300 feet away); Independent Presbyterian Church (about 300 feet away); a Independent Presbyterian Church (about 300 feet away); Original 1733 Burial Plot (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Savannah.
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker. Marker dedicated to William Bullien Johnson, one of the pastors of Savannah First Baptist Church.
Also see . . . First Baptist Church, Savannah GA. History (Submitted on November 18, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
Categories. • Churches, Etc. • Notable Buildings • Notable Places •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 18, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 982 times since then and 38 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on November 18, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 4. submitted on June 11, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 5. submitted on November 18, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.