Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Taylorsville in Spencer County, Kentucky — The American South (East South Central)
 

Taylorsville

 
 
Taylorsville Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, July 15, 2019
1. Taylorsville Marker
Inscription.  Named in honor of Virginia native Richard Taylor, who donated sixty acres of land in 1799 for a town at forks of Brashear's Creek and Salt River. Taylor operated a grist mill nearby. Town became county seat of Spencer in December 1824. Four of earliest trustees of Taylorsville were Robert Jeffries, George Cravinston, Philip W. Taylor, and Benjamin Bourne.
 
Erected 1984 by Kentucky Historical Society, Kentucky Department of Highways. (Marker Number 1748.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Kentucky Historical Society marker series.
 
Location. 38° 2.302′ N, 85° 20.432′ W. Marker is in Taylorsville, Kentucky, in Spencer County. Marker is on Taylorsville Road (Kentucky Route 55) 0.2 miles south of Little Mount Road (Kentucky Route 44), on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: Taylorsville Road, Taylorsville KY 40071, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Courthouse Burned (approx. 0.6 miles away); Spencer House (approx. 0.6 miles away);
The view south into the city of Taylorsville. image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, July 15, 2019
2. The view south into the city of Taylorsville.
The Spy Who Saved the Union (approx. mile away); County Named, 1824 (approx. 0.8 miles away); "Vaucluse" (approx. 1 miles away); James Morrison Heady (approx. 4.3 miles away); Guerrilla Quantrill (approx. 4.9 miles away); Ham Brown Log Cabin (approx. 8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Taylorsville.
 
Regarding Taylorsville. Taylorsville was created when landowner and gristmill owner Richard Taylor first let it be known in 1799 that he wanted a town to be built on his property. The property, now Taylorsville, is nestled between Salt River and Brashears Creek, a land area that is surrounded on three sides by water.

Trustees were named and they platted the town which was originally a 60-acre plot of ground. However, the first four lots weren't sold until May 21, 1810. George Bourne bought all four lots for $1. Taylorsville's first trustees were George Cravinston, William Bridgewater, Robert Jeffries, Elijah Prewitt and Isaac Ellis.

Taylorsville was named the seat of government for Spencer County on December 30, 1824, by
Looking north on KY-55. image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, July 15, 2019
3. Looking north on KY-55.
the Kentucky General Assembly. The town was incorporated in 1829.
 
Categories. Settlements & SettlersWaterways & Vessels
 

More. Search the internet for Taylorsville.
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 17, 2019. This page originally submitted on July 17, 2019, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 77 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on July 17, 2019, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.
Paid Advertisement