Historic Roadside Park
The picnic area on US 190 in Newton County is an early roadside park developed by the Texas Highway Department - now Texas Department of Transportation. This 1936 park accommodated motorists attending Texas Centennial events that year. It was built by the National Youth Administration, a Federal Work Relief program.
The Texas Highway Department launched its roadside park program in 1933 to provide safe places for motorists to relax and eat during their travels. Native stone and plantings were often used to create a natural park atmosphere. Today hundreds of picnic areas and rest areas dot Texas Highways, continuing the state's legacy of safe and convenient roadside parks.
In order to preserve its historic character and significance, this picnic area may not fully comply with the 1990 Americans With Disabilities Act.
Erected by State of Texas.
Location. 30° 48.891′ N, 93° 43.11′ W. Marker is in Newton, Texas, in Newton County. Marker is on State Highway 190 west of Hickory Lane, on the right when traveling
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Newton County (a few steps from this marker); Newton County, C.S.A. (a few steps from this marker); Ford Chapel, Cemetery, and School (approx. 3 miles away); Autrey-Williams House (approx. 3.3 miles away); W. H. Ford Male & Female College (approx. 3.4 miles away); Newton County Pre-War Maneuvers (approx. 3.4 miles away); Town of Newton (approx. 3.4 miles away); Newton County Courthouse (approx. 3.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Newton.
Categories. • Parks & Recreational Areas •
More. Search the internet for Historic Roadside Park.
Credits. This page was last revised on October 8, 2019. This page originally submitted on July 21, 2019, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana. This page has been viewed 45 times since then. Photos: 1. submitted on October 8, 2019, by Jason Reeser of Sulphur, Louisiana. 2, 3. submitted on July 21, 2019.