Near Tallahassee in Leon County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
Battle of Natural Bridge
March 6, 1865
The Army landing at lighthouse was prevented from getting to rear of St. Marks by Confederate opposition at Newport and Natural Bridge. The Federal Flotilla ran aground during ascent of River; it did not reach St. Marks. Their next objective would have been Tallahassee.
Federal (number) 893*, (killed) 21, (wounded) 89, (missing) 148.
Confederate (number) 595, (killed) 3, (wounded) 23, (missing) 0
Brig. Gen. William Miller - Confederate
Commander R. W. Shufeldt - U.S. Navy
Brig. Gen. John Newton - U.S. Army
* Of whom 500 were reported to have been at Natural Bridge.
Erected 1967 by Florida Board of Parks and Historical Memorials. (Marker Number F-143.)
Location. 30° 17.081′ N, 84° 9.145′ W. Marker is near Tallahassee, Florida, in Leon County. Marker is on Natural Bridge Road, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 7502 Natural Bridge Road, Tallahassee FL 32305, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 13 miles of this marker, measured as the crow Port Leon (approx. 9½ miles away); Wakulla Springs Archaeological & Historic District (approx. 9.6 miles away); San Marcos De Apalache (approx. 9.8 miles away); Fort St. Marks Military Cemetery (approx. 9.8 miles away); a different marker also named San Marcos De Apalache (approx. 9.9 miles away); Chaires Historic District (approx. 10.7 miles away); The "Luraville Locomotive" (approx. 11½ miles away); Old Fort Park (approx. 12.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Tallahassee.
Also see . . .
1. The Battle of Natural Bridge. The battlefield was named one of the most endangered battlefields of 2008 by Civil War Preservation Trust. (Submitted on November 21, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
2. Natural Bridge State Historic Park. Florida park web site. (Submitted on November 21, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
3. Photos of the Battlefield. Exploring Florida entry for the site with additional photos of the battlefield. (Submitted on November 21, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
4. Battle of Natural Bridge. Wikipedia entry with additional details of the battle. Note the Federal troops engaged in this action were U.S. Colored Troops. (Submitted on November 21, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
5. Commander Robert Wilson Shufeldt. Mentioned on the marker, Shufeldt commanded the (Submitted on November 21, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
Additional keywords. U.S. Colored Troops; USCT;
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on September 1, 2017. This page originally submitted on November 21, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 3,851 times since then and 249 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on March 18, 2017, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. 3. submitted on April 28, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. 4, 5. submitted on November 21, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. 6, 7. submitted on January 14, 2014, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas.