Wells in Elko County, Nevada — The American Mountains (Southwest)
The City of Wells, first established as the water stop of Humboldt Wells on the Central Pacific Railroad in September, 1869, is named for these springs. Its name was shortened to Wells in 1873.
Erected by Nevada State Park System, Northeastern Nevada Historical Society. (Marker Number 45.)
Location. 41° 7.072′ N, 114° 58.693′ W. Marker is in Wells, Nevada, in Elko County. Marker is at the intersection of Old US 40 and Union Pacific Railroad Overpass, on the right when traveling west on Old US 40. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Wells NV 89835, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 2 other Historic Front Street (approx. 0.8 miles away); Remember Metropolis (approx. 8.7 miles away).
Also see . . . New Amended Text for Marker. The Nevada State Historic Preservation Office (SHPO) recently updated the text of the roughly 260 state historical markers in Nevada. The Nevada SHPO placed the amended text of each individual marker on its website and will change the actual markers in the field as funding allows. Minor changes have been made to the marker for grammar and readability. The marker has been amended to remove the references to Raft River, City of Rocks, Goose Creek Range, and Thousand Springs Valley. The link will take you to the Nevada SHPO page for the marker with the amended text. (Submitted on November 12, 2013, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 27, 2007, by Dawn Bowen of Fredericksburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 2,060 times since then and 47 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 27, 2007, by Dawn Bowen of Fredericksburg, Virginia. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.