Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Mechanicsburg in Champaign County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Mechanicsburg United Methodist Church

 
 
Mechanicsburg United Methodist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., November 14, 2008
1. Mechanicsburg United Methodist Church Marker
Inscription. The Mechanicsburg United Methodist congregation was founded in the early nineteenth century and met first in open-air camp meetings before moving into a small log school building. In 1820 the congregation built a wood framed church on East Sandusky Street and that building was replaced with a brick structure in 1838. The congregation split in 1853 into Trinity Methodist and First Methodist with both groups serving the village of Mechanicsburg for 103 years before coming back together in 1956. The current United Methodist Church was built in the early 1890s and dedicated in 1894 on the corner of Main and Race Streets. The Gothic Revival style church was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1985.
 
Erected 2006 by Champaign County Bicentennial Historical Marker Committee, The Ohio Hisotrical Society. (Marker Number 25-11.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
 
Location. 40° 4.399′ N, 83° 33.432′ W. Marker is in Mechanicsburg, Ohio, in Champaign County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street (Ohio Route 29) and Race Street, on the right when traveling north on Main Street. Touch for map.
Mechanicsburg United Methodist Church and Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., November 14, 2008
2. Mechanicsburg United Methodist Church and Marker
Marker is at or near this postal address: 42 North Main Street, Mechanicsburg OH 43044, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. W.W. I Veterans Memorial (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Addison White (about 600 feet away); Second Baptist Church (about 700 feet away); James Roy Hopkins (approx. 0.2 miles away); Mechanicsburg Veterans Memorial (approx. 0.4 miles away); Maple Grove Spanish American War Memorial (approx. 0.8 miles away); Maple Grove World War Memorial (approx. 0.9 miles away); Maple Grove Civil War Memorial (approx. one mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Mechanicsburg.
 
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. The Methodist Churces of Mechanicsburg
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.Notable BuildingsSettlements & Settlers
 
Mechanicsburg United Methodist Church Entrance image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., November 14, 2008
3. Mechanicsburg United Methodist Church Entrance
Mechanicsburg United Methodist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., November 14, 2008
4. Mechanicsburg United Methodist Church Marker
Second Baptist Church image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., November 14, 2008
5. Second Baptist Church
Originally the Methodist Episcopal Church, built 1858, the oldest surviving church building in Mechanicsburg. At 43 E. Sandusky Street.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 21, 2008, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 1,323 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on November 21, 2008, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement