Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Harrisburg in Dauphin County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Former William Penn High School

 
 
Former William Penn High School Marker image. Click for full size.
By Devry Becker Jones, August 2, 2019
1. Former William Penn High School Marker
Inscription.  The simultaneous completion of Harrisburg's two state-of-the-art high schools in September of 1926 represented a milestone in the deliverance of quality public education to a city which had grown so rapidly in the first quarter of the 20th Century that even the new schools built between 1890 and 1910 were rendered inadequate. Situated here is the former William Penn High School, beloved campus of thousands of Harrisburg alumni. It was the mate to the city's other secondary educational facility located at its eastern end, the former John Harris High School. When they opened, both schools represented an early progressive shift from the older urban schoolhouse environment to the kind of comprehensively planned campuses of secondary education which are being built today. Situated on a bluff of that for years had been a favored place of recreational outings for Harrisburg citizens and known as Hoffman's Woods, the 1.7 million school offered views of the Susquehanna River and mountains beyond. It also became a fitting backdrop to the emerging Italian Lake Park, completing the idyllic setting as a place of learning and for extracurricular activities.
Former William Penn High School Marker image. Click for full size.
By Devry Becker Jones, August 2, 2019
2. Former William Penn High School Marker
Designed by Harrisburg architect Charles Howard Lloyd through a stiff architectural competition sponsored by the School Board, the building went through a number of design themes until the columned, neoclassical alternative was settled upon. William Penn High School served the city's youth who resided west of Cameron Street until 1972 when it was merged with John Harris to form the Harrisburg High School. The William Penn Campus now serves as the Harrisburg School District's Career and Technology Academy and alternative education program site offering specialized training necessary to contribute to an educated and qualified workforce.
 
Erected by The Harrisburg History Project Commissioned by Mayor Stephen R. Reed.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Pennsylvania, The Harrisburg History Project marker series.
 
Location. 40° 17.581′ N, 76° 54.001′ W. Marker is in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, in Dauphin County. Marker is on North 3rd Street north of North 4th Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2928 North 3rd Street, Harrisburg PA 17110, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Dauphin County Civil War Memorial (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Italian Lake (about 700 feet away); Zembo Shrine Temple (about 700 feet away); Old Harrisburg Academy/Dixon University Center (approx. 0.3 miles away); Camp Curtin Fire Company No. 13 (approx. half a mile away); Harrisburg (approx. 0.6 miles away); Camp Curtin Memorial-Mitchell United Methodist Church (approx. 0.9 miles away); Camp Curtin (approx. 0.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Harrisburg.
 
Categories. EducationParks & Recreational Areas
 

More. Search the internet for Former William Penn High School.
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 3, 2019. This page originally submitted on August 3, 2019, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 37 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on August 3, 2019, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia.
Paid Advertisement