Glen Rock in York County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The Glen Rock Woolen, Flour, and Feed Mill
In April 1985, Israel Glatfelter bought the mill from George F. Seitz and made many improvements which increased the mill's capacity. In 1918, Glatfelter sold the mill to Frank and Thaddeus Owings, who along with flour, began to manufacture June Bug Feed.
In 1983, after 144 years of continuous service as a woolen, flour, and feed mill, the mill ceased operating and by 1984, was being converted into a restaurant. This building is the oldest standing building in Glen Rock. In December 1893, Israel Glatfelter, a tailor by trade, added the front building to his flour mill and opened a clothing store. This was the first building in town to have large glass display windows.
Erected 2009 by Glen Rock Historic Preservation Society, PeoplesBank, and Glen Rock Mill Inn.
Location. 39° 47.671′ Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 50 Water Street, Glen Rock PA 17327, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. From Sawmill to Wherley's (a few steps from this marker); The Glen Rock Woolen-Flour & Feed Mill (was within shouting distance of this marker but has been reported permanently removed. ); The Original Glen Rock Carol Singers (within shouting distance of this marker); Creek and Rail (within shouting distance of this marker); Trains, Grains, and More Trains (within shouting distance of this marker); Cold Spring Hotel (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Roland Forrest Seitz (about 300 feet away); J. F. & H. O. Neuhaus (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Glen Rock.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers •
More. Search the internet for The Glen Rock Woolen, Flour, and Feed Mill.
Credits. This page was last revised on August 3, 2019. This page originally submitted on August 3, 2019, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 51 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 3, 2019, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia.