Glen Rock in York County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
J. F. & H. O. Neuhaus
In August 1901 H. Oscar Neuhaus entered the business and the partnership known as J. F. and H. O. Neuhaus was formed, selling everything from feed to plows to dynamite. In 1929 the store began selling John Deere tractors. Also in 1929 Clara Hartley married Jacob's son Claire, moved to Glen Rock, and went to work in the family business, which in 1952 became Neuhaus'es Inc.
In 1921 the original building was destroyed when the neighboring Read Machine Shop caught fire. The decision was made to rebuild with I. Reindollar of York being the contractor. The plans for the new building were prepared by local architect, Joseph Dise. Once again, the building was damaged by fire
The family-run business and name was sold on September 26, 1989. The Neuhaus firm served the community from this general location from its founding in 1901 until its closing on November 3, 1990.
In the fall of 1992 Glen Rock Borough bought the building for its own use, which included becoming the new home of Glen Rock's library. It was dedicated on June 7, 1997. Clara Neuhaus was Glen Rock's first librarian, serving twenty-six years. Now the Library is housed in the Neuhaus building where Clara worked for more than sixty years.
The old three story structure building in 1921 became a memory when that structure was demolished in the fall of 2001. The building now housing The Arthur Hufnagel Public Library of Glen Rock was built circa 1957.
Erected 2015 by Glen Rock Historic Preservation Society, PeoplesBank, Glen Rock American Legion, Borough of Glen Rock, and The Arthur Hufnagel Public Library of Glen Rock.
Location. 39° 47.628′ N, 76° 43.882′ W. Marker is in Glen Rock, Pennsylvania, in York County. Marker is on Main Street (Pennsylvania Route 216) east of Water Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 45 Main Street, Glen Rock PA 17327, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Cold Spring Hotel (within shouting distance of this marker); Trains, Grains, and More Trains (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Creek and Rail (about 300 feet away); The Original Glen Rock Carol Singers (about 300 feet away); Item Building / Bixler's (about 400 feet away); From Sawmill to Wherley's (about 400 feet away); The First National Bank (about 400 feet away); Roland Forrest Seitz (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Glen Rock.
Categories. • Churches & Religion • Industry & Commerce •
More. Search the internet for J. F. & H. O. Neuhaus.
Credits. This page was last revised on August 3, 2019. This page originally submitted on August 3, 2019, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 53 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 3, 2019, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia.