Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Santa Barbara in Santa Barbara County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

Burton Mound

 
 
Burton Mound Marker image. Click for full size.
By Michael Kindig, April 11, 2009
1. Burton Mound Marker
Inscription.  Thought to have once been the Indian Village of Syujtun, this site has yielded some of the most important archeological evidence found in California. In 1542 the village was recorded by Cabrillo while on his Voyage of Discovery, and again, in 1769, by Fr. Crespi and the redoubtable Portola. Don Luis Burton, after whom the mound was named, acquired the property in 1860.
 
Erected 1966 by the State of California, the Native Sons and Daughters of the Golden West, and the City of Santa Barbara. (Marker Number 306.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Gaspar de Portolį Expedition marker series.
 
Location. 34° 24.659′ N, 119° 41.526′ W. Marker is in Santa Barbara, California, in Santa Barbara County. Marker is on West Mason Street, on the right when traveling north. Marker is located at the northern corner of Ambassador Park. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 129 West Mason Street, Santa Barbara CA 93101, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Santa Barbara Veterans' Memorial Building (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct
Burton Mound Marker image. Click for full size.
By Michael Kindig, April 11, 2009
2. Burton Mound Marker
line); Sambo's Birthplace (about 400 feet away); Private Railcar Spurs (approx. 0.2 miles away); Moreton Bay Fig Tree (approx. 0.2 miles away); Trussell-Winchester Adobe (approx. 0.3 miles away); Hotel Virginia (approx. 0.4 miles away); De La Guerra Plaza (approx. ¾ mile away); Casa Covarrubas (approx. ¾ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Santa Barbara.
 
Regarding Burton Mound. This site was one of the largest Chumash villages on the coast. Portolį stated that at least 600 people lived here when he visited in 1769. The Santa Barbara Mission was founded in 1786, and the village had disappeared by the early 1830s. In 1923, archaeologist John P. Harrington excavated the property on behalf of the Smithsonian Institution. Over 2,500 objects were uncovered, which are now at the National Museum of the American Indian. This site was declared a California Historical Landmark in 1939, and the marker placed here in 1966.
 
Additional keywords.
Ambassador Park image. Click for full size.
By Michael Kindig, April 11, 2009
3. Ambassador Park
Chumash, Native American, John P. Harrington, Smithsonian,

 
Categories. AnthropologyNative Americans
 

More. Search the internet for Burton Mound.
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 19, 2019. This page originally submitted on December 16, 2011, by Michael Kindig of Long Beach, California. This page has been viewed 697 times since then and 49 times this year. Last updated on August 4, 2019, by Craig Baker of Sylmar, California. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on December 16, 2011, by Michael Kindig of Long Beach, California. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement