Hyattsville in Prince George's County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The City of Hyattsville
Christopher Clark Hyatt purchased a land parcel in 1845 and soon after the surrounding farmland was subdivided into housing lots. By 1859, the tract officially began to be recognized as Hyattsville.
According to G. M. Hopkin's 1878 Atlas of Prince George's County, "Hyattsville ... has gradually increased in beauty and prosperity until it stands as one of the foremost villages between Washington and Baltimore."
In 2004, Hyattsville's National Historic District was extended to include over 1,000 primary resources. The District also includes two sites separately designated as Historic Sites - the U. S. Post Office on Gallatin Street, built in the 1930's and the Armory, built in 1918.
Enjoy your visit to our thriving community and enjoy our "small town" again.
Erected by Anacostia Trails Heritage Area.
Location. 38° 57.148′ N, 76° 56.416′ W. Marker is in Hyattsville, Maryland, in Prince George's County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Baltimore Avenue (U.S. 1) and Gallatin Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Hyattsville MD 20781, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance Route One, Our Hometown Main Street (within shouting distance of this marker); The Hyattsville National Historic District (approx. 0.2 miles away); Edmonston Veterans Park (approx. 0.3 miles away but has been reported missing); The Remarkable Plummer Family (approx. 0.3 miles away but has been reported missing); Adam F. Plummer (approx. 0.3 miles away); Riversdale (approx. 0.6 miles away); This Demiculverin (approx. 0.7 miles away); Welcome to Riversdale (approx. 0.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Hyattsville.
Categories. • 20th Century • Notable Places • Political Subdivisions •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 17, 2008, by Tom Fuchs of Greenbelt, Maryland. This page has been viewed 741 times since then and 15 times this year. Last updated on November 22, 2008, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on November 17, 2008, by Tom Fuchs of Greenbelt, Maryland. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.