Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Fort Plain in Montgomery County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Palatine Evangelical Lutheran Church

Revolutionary War Heritage Trail

 
 
Palatine Evangelical Lutheran Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Steve Stoessel
1. Palatine Evangelical Lutheran Church Marker
Inscription.  This is one of the oldest churches in the Mohawk Valley. Lutheran Palatine Germans built it in 1770 using limestone taken from the creek nearby. The construction cost $155,000 in 2008 dollars with funding donated primarily by the Wagner, Nellis, Reber and Hess families. The spire was funded entirely by six members of the Nellis family, who also gave the gilded bronze rooster on top.

In October 1780 British Loyalist John Johnson led 875 troops in a devastating raid across the Schoharie and Mohawk Valleys. They burned all the farms along this road. Legend has it that the Indians were ready to set the church on fire as well, but a British officer stopped them. He had promised his good friend, Henry Nellis, to protect the church.

Hendrick W.(Henry) Nellis donated the land for this church. He and his son Robert remained loyal to the British government and fled to Canada. Henry served in the British army throughout the Revolution. His church may have been spared, but he never returned to the Mohawk Valley. He settled in Canada with many other Loyalists from this area.

The Nellis family experience was typical of the Mohawk
Palatine Evangelical Lutheran Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Steve Stoessel, August 4, 2019
2. Palatine Evangelical Lutheran Church Marker
Valley, where often the American Revolution was a civil war that divided families and neighbors. Today descendants from both sides of the American border gather here to celebrate their faith and their common heritage.

When the church was restored for its centennial in 1870, workmen found a rare thirteen star American flag in the building, now on display.
 
Erected by Heritage New York.
 
Location. 42° 58.154′ N, 74° 37.709′ W. Marker is near Fort Plain, New York, in Montgomery County. Marker is on Old Mill Road, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Fort Plain NY 13339, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Army Camp (within shouting distance of this marker); Fort Wagner (approx. 0.9 miles away); Fort Klock (approx. 1 miles away); Klock Fort (approx. 1 miles away); Sand Hill (approx. 1.7 miles away); Sand Hill School (approx. 1.8 miles away); Clinton March (approx. 2 miles away); Fort Plain (approx. 2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fort Plain.
 
Categories. Churches & ReligionWar, US Revolutionary
 
Palatine Evangelical Lutheran Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Steve Stoessel
3. Palatine Evangelical Lutheran Church Marker
Palatine Evangelical Lutheran Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Steve Stoessel
4. Palatine Evangelical Lutheran Church Marker
 

More. Search the internet for Palatine Evangelical Lutheran Church.
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 6, 2019. This page originally submitted on August 5, 2019, by Steve Stoessel of Niskayuna, New York. This page has been viewed 31 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on August 5, 2019, by Steve Stoessel of Niskayuna, New York. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement