Glen Rose in Somervell County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Region was in old Brazos Land District. Home of Wacos and other Indians. First white settler was Charles Barnard, 1848. First cotton crop and first tannery were introduced during Civil War, 1861-1865.
Created from land in south end of Hood County and organized in 1875; Glen Rose (founded as Barnard's Mill), county seat.
Erected 1936 by the State of Texas. (Marker Number 4977.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Texas 1936 Centennial Markers and Monuments marker series.
Location. 32° 14.097′ N, 97° 45.34′ W. Marker is in Glen Rose, Texas, in Somervell County. Marker is at the intersection of Northeast Barnard Street (State Highway 144) and Elm Street, on the right when traveling south on Northeast Barnard Street. Marker Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 101 Northeast Barnard Street, Glen Rose TX 76043, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 2 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. First National Bank (within shouting distance of this marker); Dinosaur Tracks (within shouting distance of this marker).
More about this marker. This marker was originally placed in 1936 with different text. The marker was restored in 1965 and a new bronze plaque, with revised text, replaced the 1936 original.
Also see . . . Somervell County - The Handbook of Texas Online. Texas State Historical Association (TSHA) (Submitted on August 13, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas.)
Categories. • Political Subdivisions •
More. Search the internet for Somervell County.
Credits. This page was last revised on August 13, 2019. This page originally submitted on August 13, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. This page has been viewed 85 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 13, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas.