Hamilton in Butler County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Butler County Children’s Home
The Civil War created orphaned and impoverished children across the nation. To establish a home for area children, a group of Hamilton women met with Reverends Thane Miller and Benjamin W. Chidlaw in January 1869. By May, the women had rented a house on North C Street. Five years later, a new house was needed. Local businessmen Clark Lane and Elbridge G. Dyer pledged a combined $10,000 to purchase the property at 425 South D Street. One condition of the gift was that home's operators had to raise an additional $2,000 to cover expenses. The newer, larger home opened in September 1875. In 1902, Robert and Eleanor Beckett McKinney donated funds to build a hospital on the property, named Ruth Hospital, to honor their deceased infant daughter. Mrs. McKinney and her mother, Martha Beckett, had long supported the home's work.
To alleviate overcrowding, a new dormitory was built behind the mansion in 1909 to house up to 40 boys in two "cottages" named for benefactors Lane and Dyer. The estate of Charles E. Heiser, a president of the Second National Bank, gave funds to install a swimming pool at the home
Erected 2019 by Hamilton Community Foundation; The Father's House, A New Oaks Community Project; Family of Kathleen Neilan Stuckey and Emma Sault; The Ohio History Connection. (Marker Number 43-9.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
Location. 39° 23.947′ N, 84° 34.483′ W. Marker is in Hamilton, Ohio, in Butler County. Marker is at the intersection of South D Street and Home Avenue, on the right when traveling south on South D Street. marker is in front of The Father's House (old children’s home). Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 425 South D Street, Hamilton OH 45013, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Rossville Historic District (approx. 0.4 miles away); Fannie Hurst - Author, Humanitarian and Advocate (approx. 0.4 High-Main Street Bridge (approx. half a mile away); Earliest Industry (approx. half a mile away); Flood & Recovery (approx. half a mile away); The Dream of Hamiltonia (approx. half a mile away); Flatboats and Early Trade (approx. half a mile away); A Pioneer Family (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Hamilton.
Categories. • Architecture • Charity & Public Work •
More. Search the internet for Butler County Children’s Home.
Credits. This page was last revised on August 15, 2019. This page originally submitted on August 13, 2019, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. This page has been viewed 35 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on August 13, 2019, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.