Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Chadds Ford in Delaware County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Gideon Gilpin House

 
 
Gideon Gilpin House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, November 6, 2008
1. Gideon Gilpin House Marker
Inscription. At the time of the battle [of Brandywine], Gideon Gilpin, a Quaker farmer, lived here with his wife and six children. Gideon Gilpin owned 130 acres of farm land. After the battle, foraging soldiers plundered the property. The claim of losses filed by Gilpin included 10 “milch” cows, a yoke of oxen, 48 sheep, 28 swine, 12 tons of hay, 230 bushels of wheat, 50 pounds of bacon, a history book, and a gun.

With the farm devastated and unsustainable, Gilpin converted his home into a tavern to support his family. Their tavern was operated from 1778 to 1789 and provided meals, drink, and sleeping space for travelers along the Great Nottingham Road. Today, the Gideon Gilpin house appears much as it was in 1777.

For more information on the Battle of Brandywine please visit our Visitor Center. Our hours are Tues.-Sat., 9:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. and Sunday, Noon to 4:30 p.m. Tours of the houses are offered on a regular basis throughout the day. Tickets can be purchased only at the Visitor Center. Call for tour schedule information and reservations at (610) 459-3342.
 
Erected by Brandywine Battlefield Park.
 
Location. 39° 52.475′ N, 75° 34.308′ W. Marker is in Chadds Ford, Pennsylvania
Marker on the Brandywine Battlefield Park image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, November 6, 2008
2. Marker on the Brandywine Battlefield Park
, in Delaware County. Marker can be reached from Baltimore Pike (U.S. 1), on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is located in Brandywine Battlefield Park. Marker is in this post office area: Chadds Ford PA 19317, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The National Arborist Association (within shouting distance of this marker); Lafayette’s Headquarters (was about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line but has been reported missing. ); In Memory of Those Who Served in the Armed Forces (about 400 feet away); Casimir Pulaski (about 600 feet away); Battle of Brandywine (approx. 0.3 miles away); Christian C. Sanderson (approx. 0.3 miles away); To Honor All Who Served in the Founding, Defense, and Preservation of Our Great Country (approx. 0.3 miles away); Kuerner Farm (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Chadds Ford.
 
More about this marker. Two photographs from inside the Gideon Gilpin House appear on the marker.
 
Also see . . .
1. Lafayette's Quarters. Brandywine Battlefield website. (Submitted on November 23, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.) 

2. The Battle of Brandywine. September 11, 1777 at Brandywine, Pennsylvania. The American Revolutionary War website. (Submitted on November 23, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.)
Gideon Gilpin House - Lafayette's Headquarters image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, November 6, 2008
3. Gideon Gilpin House - Lafayette's Headquarters
The Marquis de LaFayette is believed to have made this house his headquarters prior to the Battle of Brandywine, his first action in the Revolutionary War. During his 1824-25 visit to the United States, Lafayette visited Gideon Gilpin in this house to thank him for his hospitality back in 1777.
 
 
Categories. Notable BuildingsNotable PlacesWar, US Revolutionary
 
Rear of the Gideon Gilpin House image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, November 6, 2008
4. Rear of the Gideon Gilpin House
The rear of the Gideon Gilpin House shows a bee-hive oven off of the kitchen.
Gideon Gilpin Barn image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, November 6, 2008
5. Gideon Gilpin Barn
Several outbuildings, including this barn, are found at the site of the Gideon Gilpin House.
Brandywine Visitor Center image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, November 6, 2008
6. Brandywine Visitor Center
Brandywine Battlefield Park preserves a small portion of the actual battlefield. It contains the Gideon Gilpin House and the Benjamin Ring House, which served as Gen. Washington's Headquarters.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 23, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 1,831 times since then and 88 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on November 23, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.
Paid Advertisement