The Quarry Era
From 1840 to 1900 quality sandstone & grinding wheels were quarried here & shipped throughout the States via the Ohio Canal.
Now only abandoned quarries remain. The Historic Society & Kiwanis Club of Independence joined in 1980 to build this stone garden in commemoration of the quarry era.
Robert Hill Architect
Erected 1980 by the Independence Historical Society and Kiwanis Club.
Location. 41° 22.929′ N, 81° 38.477′ W. Marker is in Independence, Ohio, in Cuyahoga County. Marker is on Brecksville Road (Ohio Route 21) south of Sunset Avenue, on the right when traveling south. Marker and stone garden are on the West Public Square. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Independence OH 44131, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Old Stone Church of Independence Sesquicentennial (within shouting distance of this marker); "Veterans Plaza" (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Ride the Rails (approx. 0.9 miles away); Industrial Cleveland
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker.
Also see . . .
1. History of Independence Township, OH (1924).
2. Independence in Encyclopedia of Cleveland History. (Submitted on August 15, 2019, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
3. Independence (OH) Presbyterian Church National Register Nomination.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Man-Made Features •
More. Search the internet for The Quarry Era.
Credits. This page was last revised on August 15, 2019. This page originally submitted on August 15, 2019, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 108 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on August 15, 2019, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.