Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Jacksonville in Duval County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

South Jacksonville City Hall

 
 
South Jacksonville City Hall Marker image. Click for full size.
By Brandon D Cross, August 17, 2019
1. South Jacksonville City Hall Marker
Inscription.  Jacksonville’s Great Fire of May 3, 1901, destroyed a large a large part of the city and left nearly 10,000 people homeless. Numerous residents of the city relocated to other areas, including to the then-remote area of South Jacksonville, across the St. Johns River. Up to this time, this area was a farm community known as Oklahoma. South Jacksonville was incorporated as a town in 1907 with a population of about six hundred people. In 1913, ninety-six qualified voters cast ballots to pass a $65,000 bond issue for civic improvements, which included the construction of a city hall. The South Jacksonville City Hall was built in 1915 and was designed by the Jacksonville architects Mark and Sheftall in a masonry vernacular style. It housed city offices, as well as a fire truck. A trolley line ran in front of the building to Beach Road, now Atlantic Boulevard. Development in South Jacksonville expanded greatly with the opening of the St. Johns River Bridge in 1921. On January 1, 1932, South Jacksonville was annexed by the City of Jacksonville. This building is one of the few reminders that South Jacksonville once was a community distinct from the City
South Jacksonville City Hall Marker image. Click for full size.
By Brandon D Cross, August 17, 2019
2. South Jacksonville City Hall Marker
of Jacksonville for nearly twenty-five years.
 
Erected 2013 by San Marco Preservation Society and the Florida Department of State. (Marker Number F-775.)
 
Location. 30° 18.643′ N, 81° 39.29′ W. Marker is in Jacksonville, Florida, in Duval County. Marker is at the intersection of Hendricks Avenue (State Road 13) and Cedar Street, on the left when traveling north on Hendricks Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1468 Hendricks Ave, Jacksonville FL 32207, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. San Marco (approx. half a mile away); Soldiers of the American Revolution Associated with Jacksonville’s History (approx. 0.7 miles away); Villa Alexandria (approx. 0.7 miles away); The St. Johns (was approx. 0.7 miles away but has been reported missing. ); Historic King's Road British East Florida (approx. ¾ mile away); Site of Cow Ford (approx. one mile away); Duval County's First Court (approx. one mile away); Duval County (approx. one mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Jacksonville.
 
Also see . . .  San Marco Preservation Society. (Submitted on August 19, 2019.)
 
Categories. ArchitectureSettlements & Settlers
 
South Jacksonville City Hall image. Click for full size.
By Brandon D Cross, August 17, 2019
3. South Jacksonville City Hall
South Jacksonville City Hall cornerstone image. Click for full size.
By Brandon D Cross, August 17, 2019
4. South Jacksonville City Hall cornerstone
 

More. Search the internet for South Jacksonville City Hall.
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 19, 2019. This page originally submitted on August 18, 2019, by Brandon D Cross of Flagler Beach, Florida. This page has been viewed 36 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on August 18, 2019, by Brandon D Cross of Flagler Beach, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement