Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Bay City in Bay County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Frankenlust / St. Paul Evangelical Lutheran Church

 
 
Frankenlust / St. Paul Evangelical Lutheran Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Joel Seewald, August 16, 2019
1. Frankenlust / St. Paul Evangelical Lutheran Church Marker
Inscription.  
Frankenlust
One of four colonies in Michigan settled by people from Franconia, Germany, Frankenlust was founded by Pastor Ferdinand Sievers and fourteen immigrants who established Saint Paul Evangelical Lutheran Church in June 1848. On July 4, they arrived at what is now St. Paul Cemetery. The Franconians built log houses along the south side of the Squaconning Creek and cleared the land for farming. They built a log church in 1849 and replaced it with a frame one in 1857. Originally part of Kochville Township, Saginaw County, the settlement petitioned the state legislature to become Frankenlust Township, Bay County, in 1881. They named their colony by combining the name of their homeland, Franconia, with the German word lust, meaning joy. Thus Frankenlust means "Joy of the Franconians."

St. Paul Evangelical Lutheran Church
Bay City architects Pratt and Koeppe designed this Neo-Gothic church, the third house of worship for St. Paul congregation. Completed at a cost of $21,857 and dedicated on December 17, 1905, the church features a cruciform plan. The altar, pulpit and baptismal font came from
Frankenlust / St. Paul Evangelical Lutheran Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Joel Seewald, August 16, 2019
2. Frankenlust / St. Paul Evangelical Lutheran Church Marker
the previous church and date from the 1860s. Lightning struck the steeple in 1984, and fire destroyed the roof, belfry, organ and entrance. Repairs were completed and a replica of the original steeple was erected in 1986. The remains of Frankenlust's earliest settlers are interred in the adjacent cemetery and date from as early as 1848.
 
Erected 2000 by Michigan Historical Center, Michigan Department of State. (Marker Number L2018.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Michigan Historical Commission marker series.
 
Location. 43° 33.789′ N, 83° 56.56′ W. Marker is near Bay City, Michigan, in Bay County. Marker is at the intersection of Westside Saginaw Road (State Highway 84) and Ziegler Road, on the right when traveling north on Westside Saginaw Road. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 6100 Westside Saginaw Road, Bay City MI 48706, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Abraham Lincoln (approx. 3.4 miles away); "Ten Hours or No Sawdust" (approx. 3.6 miles away); Keit's Florist (approx. 3.6 miles away); Center Avenue (approx. 3.8 miles away); Cross Country Connections (approx. 3.8 miles away);
St. Paul Evangelical Lutheran Church and Marker image. Click for full size.
By Joel Seewald, August 16, 2019
3. St. Paul Evangelical Lutheran Church and Marker
Marker is on the left side of the building.
George H. & Elva Shearer House (approx. 3.8 miles away); First Presbyterian Church (approx. 3.9 miles away); Charles B. & Georgiana (McGraw) Curtiss House (approx. 3.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bay City.
 
Categories. Cemeteries & Burial SitesChurches & ReligionSettlements & Settlers
 
St. Paul Evangelical Lutheran Church Cemetery image. Click for full size.
By Joel Seewald, August 16, 2019
4. St. Paul Evangelical Lutheran Church Cemetery
 

More. Search the internet for Frankenlust / St. Paul Evangelical Lutheran Church.
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 20, 2019. This page originally submitted on August 20, 2019, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page has been viewed 28 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on August 20, 2019, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.
Paid Advertisement