Near Leah in Columbia County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Damascus Baptist Church
Damascus Baptist Church, organized July 29, 1820, was constituted by Samuel Cartledge and Widner Hilman. First members were Jeremiah Blanchard, James Ramsey, Jeremiah Roberts, Sara Blanchard, Sara Reid, Dilly Swan and Margaret Wilkins. James Ramsey was the first clerk of the church. Jeremiah Blanchard was the first deacon, elected Sept. 9, 1820.
The first pastor, Samuel Cartledge, served from 1820 to 1839. He was the officer who arrested Rev. Daniel Marshall, founder of the Kiokee Church in 1772, who was haled into court in Augusta for “holding religious services not in accord with the rites and ceremonies of the Church of England.” Cartledge was said to have been so impressed by the exhortation by Mrs. Marshall upon the arrest of her husband that he was converted, baptized by Rev. Marshall, served as a deacon for several years and was ordained in 1789. He preached for the rest of his long life.
For a time after the War Between the States the church did not meet but, under the leadership of Mrs. Jane Harden Embank, it was reactivated in 1875. The present building was constructed in 1901. Several additions have been made since that time.
Erected 1956 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 36-06.)
Marker series. Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 33° 39.955′ N, 82° 19.017′ W. Marker is near Leah, Georgia, in Columbia County. Marker is at the intersection of Ridge Road and Washington Road (Georgia Highway 104), on the left when traveling east on Ridge Road. Touch for map. Marker is located near the church's historic cemetery. Marker is at or near this postal address: 6375 Ridge Road, Appling GA 30802, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 10 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Basil Neal - Soldier of '76 (approx. 5.5 miles away); Sharon Baptist Church (approx. 6.2 miles away); Jabez Pleiades Marshall (approx. 6.2 miles away); William Few Signer of the U.S. Constitution (approx. 6.5 miles away); Purpose of the Dam (approx. 7 miles away in South Carolina); Thurmond Dam and Lake / McCormick County (approx. 7.2 miles away in South Carolina); J. Strom Thurmond Dam (approx. 7.3 miles away in South Carolina); Shiloh Methodist Church (approx. 7.5 miles away); First Baptist Church in Georgia (approx. 7.9 miles away); Religious Liberty in Georgia (approx. 7.9 miles away).
Also see . . . Damascus Baptist Church. (Submitted on August 25, 2015, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
Categories. • Antebellum South, US • Churches, Etc. •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 24, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,428 times since then and 28 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on November 24, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12. submitted on August 25, 2015, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.