Wood Islands in Queens County, Prince Edward Island — The Canadian Atlantic
The Wood Islands Family of Lighthouses
The two smaller structures are called "range lights'” and have been retired from service since the 2007 when electric harbour lights on steel poles replaced them. Prior to that time, the range lights were situated on the east side of the lighthouse point before being moved in 1941 to the steel pier entrance to the Wood Islands Ferry terminal. As vessels approached the terminal, the deepest part of the channel was identified by a sight line alignment of the inner and outer range lights. The shorter range located farthest from shore, was called the "outer range light” and the taller one closest to shore, was called the "inner range light". Some ranges were equipped with lights and fog horns and in some cases, a red vertical stripe that faced the open water.
In 2012, maintenance repairs to the steel pier required the now obsolete range lights to either
Location. 45° 57.002′ N, 62° 44.733′ W. Marker is in Wood Islands, Prince Edward Island, in Queens County. Marker can be reached from Lighthouse Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Wood Islands, Prince Edward Island C0A 1B0, Canada. Touch for directions.
Additional keywords. Lighthouse
Categories. • Landmarks • Man-Made Features • Waterways & Vessels •
More. Search the internet for The Wood Islands Family of Lighthouses.
Credits. This page was last revised on August 26, 2019. This page originally submitted on August 24, 2019, by Steve Stoessel of Niskayuna, New York. This page has been viewed 26 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on August 24, 2019, by Steve Stoessel of Niskayuna, New York. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.