Near Cartersville in Bartow County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
May 23rd, the 2 pontoon bridges intended for the passage of Schofieldīs 23d A.C. [US] were usurped by the 20th A.C. [US] (mistakenly diverted from Gillemīs bridge) and the 23d A.C. did not cross until the 24th.
This and crossings lower down were on Federal routes from Kingston & Cassville toward Dallas, Paulding Co. Sherman [US] called the Etowah "The Rubicon of Georgia."
Erected 1952 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 003-8.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 34° 8.878′ N, 84° 54.474′ W. Marker is near Cartersville, Georgia, in Bartow County. Marker is at the intersection of Euharlee Road and Milam Bridge Road, on the right when traveling east on Euharlee Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Cartersville GA 30120, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Euharlee Creek Covered Bridge (approx. 1.4 miles away); Black Pioneers Cemetery Raccoon Creek (approx. 2― miles away); The Army of the Cumberland at Stilesboro (approx. 3.1 miles away); Stilesboro Academy (approx. 3.2 miles away); Etowah Valley Plantation (approx. 3.6 miles away); Old Macedonia Church Organized 1847 (approx. 4― miles away); Pettit Creek (approx. 5.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cartersville.
More about this marker. State records list the marker number as 008-9, Bartow being the eighth county. The marker appears to have been incorrectly manufactured.
Regarding Milam's Bridge. There is no longer any bridge crossing the Etowah River at the site of Milam's bridge.
Categories. • Bridges & Viaducts • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 25, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,898 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 25, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.