Chattanooga in Hamilton County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
of Redoubt Putnam
of Fort Sherman
3 Siege - 5 Field Guns
(Marker Number MT-43.)
Location. Marker is missing. It was located near 35° 3.055′ N, 85° 18.444′ W. Marker was in Chattanooga, Tennessee, in Hamilton County. Marker was at the intersection of Walnut Street and East 5th Street, on the left when traveling south on Walnut Street. Touch for map. Marker was in this post office area: Chattanooga TN 37402, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this location. Point in the Line of Fort Sherman (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Chattanooga's First School (about 300 feet away); Swaim's Jail (about 400 feet away); Chattanooga Daily Rebel (about 800 feet away); Site of Bragg's Headquarters (approx. 0.2 miles away); Ernest Walter Holmes, Sr. (approx. 0.2 miles away); Headquarters of Brigadier General George D. Wagner (approx. 0.2 miles away); Military History of Chattanooga (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Chattanooga.
More about this marker. According to the description information provided by the National Park Service, the marker is a, "Cast iron tablet on short post on Southeast corner of 5th and Walnut Streets."
Regarding Signal Hill.
According to a newspaper article published in the Chattanooga Times on, December 1, 1893, there was a committee appointed from the chamber of commerce to identify historical points in connection with the occupancy of Chattanooga by Federal and Confederate troops. These points were to later be marked by a bronze tablet bearing a description of the event which transpired at that point. According to a Battlefield Guide, published in 1897 by the Chattanooga Chamber of Commerce, “For the 20th reunion of the Society of the Army of the Cumberland, September 18-20, 1889, the publisher of the Guide compiled the following list of historical points, which list, has since been revised and bronze tablets placed on or near the sites by the Government.” So it would appear that it was sometime between late 1893 and 1897 that these tablets were erected, by the government.
Categories. • War, US Civil •
More. Search the internet for Signal Hill.
Credits. This page was last revised on August 30, 2019. This page originally submitted on August 29, 2019, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 74 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on August 29, 2019, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.