Charleston in Charleston County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Drayton Hall / Drayton Family
Seat of the Drayton family for seven generations, this land was acquired in 1738 by John Drayton (c. 1759~1779) as the center of his extensive indigo and rice planting ventures. One of the finest examples of Georgian Palladian architecture in America, this is the only surviving colonial plantation house on the Ashley River.
This distinguished South Carolina family included among its members William Henry Drayton (1742-1779), Revolutionary War patriot, chief justice of South Carolina, member of Continental Congress; Dr. Charles Drayton (1767-1822), governor of South Carolina 1800-1802, 1808-1812.
Erected 1984 by National Trust for Historic Preservation. (Marker Number 10-14.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the National Historic Landmarks marker series.
Location. 32° 51.88′ N, 80° 4.967′ W. Marker is in Charleston, South Carolina, in Charleston County. Marker is on 3380 Ashley River Road (SC-61), on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Charleston SC 29414, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the Royal Judge John Drayton (approx. 0.7 miles away); The Rev. John G. Drayton (approx. 0.7 miles away); Magnolia Plantation (approx. 0.7 miles away); St. Andrew’s Parish Church (approx. 2.7 miles away); Archdale Hall (approx. 2.7 miles away); French Botanical Garden (approx. 4 miles away); Windsor Hill Plantation (approx. 4.1 miles away); a different marker also named Windsor Hill Plantation (approx. 4.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Charleston.
Regarding Drayton Hall / Drayton Family. Drayton Hall is a National Historic Landmark and a historic site of the National Trust for Historic Preservation. After seven generations, the Revolutionary and Civil Wars, and numerous hurricanes and earthquakes, the main house remains in nearly original condition. Built between 1738 and 1742, the entire site serves as a testimony to America's heritage. Drayton Hall is accredited by the American Association of Museums and is open to the public daily, except Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve and Day, and New Years Day. For more information, visit the Drayton Hall web site.
Also see . . .
1. It was declared a National Historic Landmark in 1960. (Submitted on November 26, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
2. Drayton Hall website. (Submitted on November 30, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
Categories. • Colonial Era • Horticulture & Forestry •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 26, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,444 times since then and 91 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on November 26, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 5, 6, 7. submitted on May 20, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 8. submitted on January 3, 2012, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.