St. George in Washington County, Utah — The American Mountains (Southwest)
St. George Tabernacle
The cornerstones of the Tabernacle were set in June of 1863. Parts of the structure were completed and the first meeting was held in the basement in March of 1869, but the building was not fully completed and dedicated until May of 1867. During those 13 long years of construction the workers, most of whom had not yet built suitable homes for themselves, received foodstuff as compensation.
The limestone for the three-foot thick basement walls was hand-quarried from the foothills north of the city. Red sandstone boulders for the two-and-one-half foot walls were hand-quarried from a site near the Red Hills Golf Course and then hand-cut into serviceable stones. The markings of the individual stone masons’ tools are still evident upon close inspection. The building’s wonderful interior plaster and woodwork illustrate the pride and dedication
Currency was hard to come by in the hardscrabble lives of the settlers. Raising cash for such items as the building's 2,244 panes of glass required great sacrifice. The Tabernacle’s bell was cast in Troy, New York in 1872 and the clock was made in London. Both were shipped to California, then hauled by team and wagon to St. George.
The Tabernacle, considered to be one of the most architecturally beautiful buildings in the West was and continues to be a “ornament” to the city. The fact that it was completed at the same time as the Temple and courthouse were under construction is certainly a tribute to the “energy and enterprise” of Dixie’s pioneers.
Erected 1994 by Sons of Utah Pioneers.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Sons of Utah Pioneers marker series.
Location. 37° 6.56′ N, 113° 34.978′ W. Marker is in St. George, Utah, in Washington County. Marker can be reached from St. George Boulevard. Touch for map. It is in park next to Zion’s Bank. Marker is at or near this postal address: 36 E. St. George Boulevard, Saint George UT 84770, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Dixie Academy (here, next to this marker); And the Desert Shall Blossom (a few steps from this marker); The Woodward School (a few steps from this marker); St. George Temple (a few steps from this marker); Erastus Snow's Big House (a few steps from this marker); Gardeners’ Club Hall (within shouting distance of this marker); St. George Social Hall “Opera House” (within shouting distance of this marker); Pioneer Courthouse (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in St. George.
Categories. • Churches, Etc. •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 27, 2007, by Dawn Bowen of Fredericksburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,290 times since then and 55 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 27, 2007, by Dawn Bowen of Fredericksburg, Virginia. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.