Baltimore, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Mill No. 1
Historic Sites of Industry in the Jones Falls Valley
To meet demand as business boomed, Mill No. 3 was built in 1853 across Falls Road. Nearby Stone Hill was built to provide housing for mill workers and the community grew as the factories prospered. When Mill No. 1 burned in 1873, it was replaced with the building that stands on this site today.
In 1899, area mills including Mills No. 1 and No. 3 merged to form the Mount Vernon-Woodberry Cotton Duck Company, at that time the world’s foremost manufacturer of cotton duck. While production surged during World War I, the company soon after began moving operations to the South where labor was cheaper and less organized. Following World War II, Mill No. 1 was converted to manufacturer synthetic textiles and did so until it closed in 1972.
Lighter industry soon replaced
Erected by Baltimore Heritage Organization.
Location. 39° 19.393′ N, 76° 37.844′ W. Marker is in Baltimore, Maryland. Marker is on Falls Road (Maryland Route 25). Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 3000 Falls Road, Baltimore MD 21211, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Mill No. 3 (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); World War II Memorial (approx. 0.3 miles away); In Memory of Harvey J. Burns, Jr. (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Huntingdon Avenue Viaduct Bridge Path (approx. 0.3 miles away); Evergreen on the Falls (approx. 0.4 miles away); Whitehall Mill (approx. 0.4 miles away); Remington-Wyman World War II Memorial (approx. 0.4 miles away); A Sense of Sanctuary (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Baltimore.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce •
More. Search the internet for Mill No. 1.
Credits. This page was last revised on September 10, 2019. This page originally submitted on September 2, 2019, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 52 times since then. Last updated on September 2, 2019, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 2, 2019, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.