Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Shreveport in Caddo Parish, Louisiana — The American South (West South Central)
 

This Marks the Site of Battery 4

 
 
This Marks the Site of Battery 4 Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, August 31, 2019
1. This Marks the Site of Battery 4 Marker
Inscription.  
This Marks the Site
of
Battery 4
One of the eighteen batteries
and four forts which formed
the Confederate defenses
of Shreveport
1864 – 1865

 
Location. 32° 30.106′ N, 93° 43.917′ W. Marker is in Shreveport, Louisiana, in Caddo Parish. Marker is on Miriam Avenue west of Oleander Avenue, on the left when traveling west. Located within the Greenwood Cemetery at the Confederate Veteran Bivouac. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: Miriam Avenue, Shreveport LA 71101, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. This Marks the Site of Battery 3 (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); This Marks the Site of Battery 5 (approx. 0.4 miles away); Highland Hospital (approx. 0.4 miles away); Fort Humbug (approx. half a mile away); This Marks the Site of Battery 1 (approx. 0.6 miles away); Noel Methodist Church (approx. 0.6 miles away); Fort Turnbull (approx. 0.6 miles away); Pleasant Hall (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Shreveport.
 
Regarding This Marks the Site of Battery 4.
Battery 4 Marker at Confederate Veteran Bivouac section of cemetery. image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, August 31, 2019
2. Battery 4 Marker at Confederate Veteran Bivouac section of cemetery.
Confederate monument in background was donated by CSA veteran Captain Peter Youree.
With the onset of the Civil War, Shreveport became a Confederate stronghold and headquarters of the Trans-Mississippi Department Army. Eighteen batteries across the city served as the defensive line against Union attack. This battery, along with nearby Battery 3, were joined by a covered road.

These Civil War Battery markers were dedicated in the 1930s when Shreveport marked its centennial and a final gathering of the United Confederate Veterans was held in the city.
 
Categories. Forts, CastlesWar, US Civil
 

More. Search the internet for This Marks the Site of Battery 4.
 
Credits. This page was last revised on September 3, 2019. This page originally submitted on September 3, 2019, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 43 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on September 3, 2019, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.
Paid Advertisement