Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Danville in Gregg County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Danville Community

 
 
Danville Community Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, August 31, 2019
1. Danville Community Marker
Inscription.  Also known as New Danville, this rural community was established around 1847, and reportedly named by S. Slade Barnett and family in honor of their former hometown of Danville, Kentucky. Located along the intersection of major roadways to Marshall, Tyler and Henderson, the townsite was near an old Indian village called Bighead Village, either named after a nearby creek, or the Nadaco chief named Bighead who played a part in the Fredonia Rebellion. Families from Virginia, Georgia, Tennessee and other southeastern states began to settle here in the mid-1840s.

In 1848, the Gum Spring Presbyterian Church (now known as the First Presbyterian Church of Kilgore) was organized by the community, and the Danville Masonic Lodge No. 101 was chartered in 1852 with S. Slade Barnett as an initial member of both organizations. The masonic lodge would pay a large part in the social and educational life of the community. A post office opened in 1850 under the name Rabbit Creek but was changed to New Danville in 1852, with John W. Wilson as the first postmaster. The post office operated until 1873, The majority of the families that settled in Danville were

Danville Community Marker at Danville Farms. image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, August 31, 2019
2. Danville Community Marker at Danville Farms.
traditional farmers along with several doctors, merchants, mechanics, teachers and more.

At its height after the Civil War, Danville was the location of several stores, saloons, a blacksmith shop, saw mill, and mule-powered cotton gin. The community continued to prosper until the 1870s when the International-Great Northern Railroad bypassed the town. Many of the town's residents and businesses moved to the new town of Kilgore along the railroad. Danville remains one of the oldest settlements in what became Gregg County
 
Erected 2017 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 18798.)
 
Location. 32° 23.822′ N, 94° 49.929′ W. Marker is in Danville, Texas, in Gregg County. Marker is on Charles K. Devall Memorial Highway (U.S. 259) south of Danville Road, on the right when traveling north. Next to the Danville Maize at Danville Farms. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: Charles Devall Memorial Highway, Kilgore TX 75662, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Gum Spring Presbyterian Church (approx. 0.4 miles away); "Oil City of the World" Kilgore (approx. 2 miles away); Kilgore High School (approx. 2.4 miles away); First Presbyterian Church

Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
(approx. 2 miles away); Site of Alexander Institute (approx. 2 miles away); The Kilgore I&GN-Missouri Pacific Railroad Station (approx. 2.6 miles away); Removal (approx. 2.6 miles away); Drilling Completed, 1940 (approx. 2.6 miles away).
 
Also see . . .  Longview News-Journal article on dedication of marker. (Submitted on September 4, 2019, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
 
Categories. Industry & CommerceNative AmericansRailroads & StreetcarsSettlements & Settlers
 

More. Search the internet for Danville Community.
 
Credits. This page was last revised on September 4, 2019. This page originally submitted on September 4, 2019, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 44 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on September 4, 2019, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.
Paid Advertisement