Norrie in Marathon County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Norrie thrived on lumber and agriculture
On the shore of this peaceful lake was once the busy little town of Norrie. Norrie was originally part of Hatley, but during the 1880 Prohibition this part of town was named after Gordon Norrie.
It was said that one of the largest stands of white pine in the nation stretched from Norrie to Bass Lake. The logging industry peaked during the 1890's and Norrie was bustling with several sawmills, two hotels and 1,500 residents. This boom did not last, and by the early 1900's the area's forests were exhausted. German and Scandinavian immigrants turned to farming for income.
Erected by Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources, Wisconsin State Park System, Friends of Mountain-Bay State Trail, Ervin Wege, Marathon County Parks.
Location. 44° 53.238′ N, 89° 15.688′ W. Marker is in Norrie, Wisconsin, in Marathon County. Marker is on Norrie Road west of Bradley Street, on the left when traveling west. Marker is on the Mountain-Bay State Trail and can be reached from the parking lot for the trail at the northeast Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Birnamwood WI 54414, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 2 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Bethany Indian Mission & School (was approx. 5.9 miles away but has been reported missing. ); The Homme Homes (approx. 6 miles away).
Categories. • Industry & Commerce •
More. Search the internet for Norrie thrived on lumber and agriculture.
Credits. This page was last revised on September 5, 2019. This page originally submitted on September 4, 2019, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page has been viewed 39 times since then. Photos: 1. submitted on September 4, 2019, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. 2, 3. submitted on September 5, 2019, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.