Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Kilgore in Gregg County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Site of Alexander Institute

 
 
Site of Alexander Institute Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, August 31, 2019
1. Site of Alexander Institute Marker
Inscription.  Before the establishment of public schools, education was provided by small private academies such as the Alexander Institute. a successor to the New Danville Masonic Female Academy, founded in nearby Danville in 1854. The institute was named for pioneer educator Isaac Alexander (1832-1919). A native of Virginia, Dr. Alexander was president of the academy when it moved to Kilgore in 1873, soon after the city was founded.

In 1875 operation of the school was transferred to the East Texas Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church South. Offering courses from primary through college level, the institute was highly regarded as a finishing school for girls and a preparatory school for boys. Students from all parts of east Texas received instruction here. The boys boarded in private homes and the girls with Mrs. Alexander, daughter of a well-known Methodist minister, the Rev. James Hall.

Dr. Alexander served as president until 1894, when the school moved to Jacksonville in Rusk County and became Lon Morris College, one of the oldest junior colleges in Texas. The Kilgore public schools occupied the old Alexander Institute classroom

Site of Alexander Institute & Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, August 31, 2019
2. Site of Alexander Institute & Marker
building at this site until 1913. The structure was then dismantled and the lumber used to build a private residence.
 
Erected 1978 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 9930.)
 
Location. 32° 23.16′ N, 94° 52.412′ W. Marker is in Kilgore, Texas, in Gregg County. Marker is at the intersection of East North Street and North Martin Street, on the left when traveling east on East North Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 315 East North Street, Kilgore TX 75662, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Removal (approx. 0.2 miles away); During Drilling (approx. 0.2 miles away); Drilling Completed, 1940 (approx. 0.2 miles away); Before 1937 Drilling Began (approx. 0.2 miles away); Kilgore National Bank Building (approx. 0.2 miles away); World's Richest Acre (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Kilgore I&GN-Missouri Pacific Railroad Station (approx. 0.2 miles away); Lou Della Crim Home (approx. mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Kilgore.
 
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker.
 
Also see . . .  Texas Historical Commission background on the marker. (.pdf). (Submitted on September 5, 2019, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
 
Categories. Churches & ReligionEducation
 

More. Search the internet for Site of Alexander Institute.
 
Credits. This page was last revised on September 5, 2019. This page originally submitted on September 5, 2019, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 42 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on September 5, 2019, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.
Paid Advertisement