Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
New York in New York County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

John Street Church

A United Methodist Historic Shrine

 
 
John Street Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, November 5, 2008
1. John Street Church Marker
Inscription. The oldest continuous Methodist congregation in America, founded by Philip Embury and Barbara Heck in 1766, has served on this site since 1768. The present building, erected in 1841 and restored in 1965, is the successor to the original building erected in 1818.
 
Erected 1970 by Commission on Archives and History.
 
Location. 40° 42.546′ N, 74° 0.479′ W. Marker is in New York, New York, in New York County. Marker can be reached from John Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is located on the wall of the church in the courtyard located on the east side of the building. Marker is at or near this postal address: 44 John Street, New York NY 10038, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. John Street Methodist Church (here, next to this marker); a different marker also named John Street Methodist Church (here, next to this marker); a different marker also named John Street Church (here, next to this marker); Former Residence of Thomas Jefferson (within shouting distance of this marker); 33 Liberty Street (about 400 feet away, measured
Marker on John Street image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, September 10, 2011
2. Marker on John Street
The marker is located on east wall of the John Street Church, in a courtyard.
in a direct line); The Rigging Loft (about 400 feet away); Federal Reserve Bank of New York (about 400 feet away); a different marker also named Federal Reserve Bank of New York (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in New York.
 
Also see . . .  Early History of John Street Church. John Street Church website. (Submitted on November 27, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.) 
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.Colonial EraNotable Buildings
 
John Street United Methodist Church image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, November 5, 2008
3. John Street United Methodist Church
This church, organized in 1766, is the mother church for American Methodism.
Bust of John Wesley image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, November 5, 2008
4. Bust of John Wesley
This bust of John Wesley is located in the courtyard near the marker. Important figure among early Methodists, the chapel dedicated here on John Street on October 30, 1768 was named Wesley Chapel in his honor. In 1784, it became the John Street Methodist Episcopal Church.
Mural in Courtyard image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, November 5, 2008
5. Mural in Courtyard
This mural is on the wall opposite the marker in the courtyard on the east side of the John Street Church.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 27, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 948 times since then and 30 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on November 27, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.   2. submitted on September 11, 2011, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.   3, 4, 5. submitted on November 27, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.
Paid Advertisement