Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Grand Pré in Kings County, Nova Scotia — The Canadian Atlantic
 

Landscape of Grand Pré/ le Payage de Grand Pré

Plan of Horton Town/ Le Plan De Ville de Horton

 
 
Landscape of Grand Pré Marker image. Click for full size.
By Steve Stoessel, August 29, 2019
1. Landscape of Grand Pré Marker
Inscription.  
In 1759, the British authorities subdivided Nova Scotia into counties. The County of Kings was divided into three townships: Cornwallis; Falmouth and Horton.

The Horton Town Plot (or plan), sited on the hills above Horton Landing and the Gaspereau River, used the standard English rectilinear grid layout of the 18th century. In 1760, arriving New England Planters each received four parcels of land: a lot in the Town Plot, cleared upland, dykeland and a woodlot.

The Planters quickly found this scattered land allocation to be inefficient so they sold or exchanged parcels. Most chose to live near their best land. With no threat of invasion, many abandoned the Town Plot. Within a short time the settlement pattern of the new Planters resembled that of the deported Acadians: they lived on the uplands, farmed on the dykelands and used the woodlots for building materials.

By 1817, Governor of Nova Scotia Lord Dalhousie noted: "There is no Town of Horton; it is a scattered settlement of neat common houses, small farmers, but rich in their way of life."

Although certain roads have been abandoned, the original street pattern of the Horton Town Plot survives today.

En 1759, les autorités britanniques ont subdivisé la Nouvelle-Écosse en comtés. Le comté de Kings a alors été scindé en trois cantons : Cornwallis, Falmouth et Horton.

Horton s'étend sur les hauteurs surplombant Horton Landing et la rivière Gaspereau. Son plan de ville a été conçu en damier, selon le tracé rectiligne anglais couramment utilisé au XVIIIe siècle. En 1760, chaque Planter (planteur) arrivant de la Nouvelle-Angleterre obtenait quatre parcelles : une dans le plan de ville aménagée, une défrichée sur les hauteurs, une consistant en un marais agricole et une boisée.

Les Planters se sont vite rendu compte que cette attribution de parcelles éparpillées était inefficace, et ils ont donc décidé d'en vendre ou d'en échanger. La plupart ont choisi de s'établir près de leurs meilleures terres. Comme la menace d'invasion était nulle, bon nombre ont abandonné les parcelles allouées dans le plan de ville. En peu de temps, le modèle d'établissement des nouveaux Planters devint similaire à celui des Acadiens déportés - vivant sur les hauteurs, cultivant les marais endigués et trouvant leurs matériaux de construction dans les boisés.

En 1817, lord Dalhousie, gouverneur de la Nouvelle-Écosse, déclara : « Il n'y a pas de ville de Horton, mais plutôt un établissement où se trouvent ici et là des maisons communes et proprettes qu'habitent des fermiers qui, bien que modestes, ont un mode de vie des plus riches.»

Malgré l'abandon de certaines routes, le tracé original des rues du plan de ville de Horton existe toujours.

Right Inset:
The Landscape of Grand Pré is an exceptional living agricultural landscape, claimed from the sea in the 17th century and still in use today applying the same technology and the same community-based management. Grand Pré is also the iconic place of remembrance of the Acadians, who lived in harmony with the native Mi'kmaq people before the Expulsion in 1755.

Visit and learn about the Landscape at the points of interest identified on the pedestrian map.

Avec ses terres conquises de la mer dès le XVIIS siècle le Paysage de Grand-Pré témoigne de maniè exceptionnelle d'un établissement agricole olutif et encore actif grâce aux méthodes et au eme communautaire de gestion qui l'ont toujo caractérisé. Grand-Pré est aussi un lieu emblématique qui honore le souvenir des Acadiens qui y vivaient en harmonie avec les Mi'kmaqs avant la Déportation en 1755-

Visitez le Paysage de Grand-Pré et découvrez-en les points d'intérêt indiqués sur la carte au circuit piétonnier.

Bottom Inset:
Excerpt of one block from the 1760 Plan of Horton Town by Charles Morris. The Plan indicates the Planters' family names and their allocated lots. Many of the family remain in the area today

Extrait d’un bloc du plan de 1760 de Horton Town par Charles Morris. Le plan indique les nom de famille de chaque Planter et leurs lots attribues. Bon nombre des noms de famille figurant dans le plan aont courants dans la région de non jours.
 
Location. 45° 6.55′ N, 64° 17.097′ W. Marker is in Grand Pré, Nova Scotia, in Kings County. Marker is at the intersection of King Street and Wharf Road, on the left when traveling east on King Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Grand Pré, Nova Scotia B0P 1M0, Canada. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 7 other markers are within 3 kilometers of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Site de l'école Acacia Villa/Site of Acacia Villa School (here, next to this marker); Acacia Villa School (here, next to this marker); Horton Landing Cross (approx. 0.6 kilometers away); Grand Pre Marsh Body (approx. 1.9 kilometers away); The Expulsion of the Acadians (approx. 2 kilometers away); Grand-Pré Rural Historic District (approx. 2 kilometers away); Statue of Evangeline (approx. 2.1 kilometers away).
 
Categories. Man-Made FeaturesSettlements & Settlers
 

More. Search the internet for Landscape of Grand Pré/ le Payage de Grand Pré.
 
Credits. This page was last revised on September 7, 2019. This page originally submitted on September 6, 2019, by Steve Stoessel of Niskayuna, New York. This page has been viewed 31 times since then. Photo   1. submitted on September 6, 2019, by Steve Stoessel of Niskayuna, New York. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement